I love this guy's YouTube channel. 100s of videos of old DOS virus

classicwin

https://www.youtube.com/user/danooct1

(NB: Not me, just a fan.) ;)

I just wanted to share something tech-related that's also very entertaining. I notice there's a lot of vintage-system enthusiasts on this board and thought you might want to check out this channel. I'm relatively young for a computer nostalgist, so until I saw this guy's videos, I had no idea that viruses used to be kind of an art form for malware writers to show off their skills.

Some of those 8-bit graphics were pretty darn cool... if you can ignore the fact that your hard drive just got wiped. :puke:

Not only that, but some of the programmers seemed to have had a defiantly warped and un-PC sense of humor about taboo subjects (the "abortion" virus, the "AIDS" virus, the "suicide" virus, etc.). At least one or two actually wish the user a Merry Christmas as their files are getting nuked -- there's a German virus that even plays a chiptune version of "O Christmas Tree" out the computer speakers, and displays a message about an evergreen Tannenbaum. Internet trolls, before there was Internet, lol.

Anyway, this channel has some pretty cool stuff and you might want to check it out.