Firefox 50.1.0 x64?

The current Firefox 50.1.0 x86 setup will run properly under XP x64 SP2, however the 50.1.0 x64 version errors out and claims Windows 7 is required. I know that officially Mozilla only supports the x64 version on Windows 7 and up, but I wonder if this is simply an artificial limitation, especially in the case of Vista? :unsure:

I have seen reports of "later-than-officially-supported" 64-bit versions of Firefox running on XP x64 but not for 50.1.0 specifically yet. Waterfox 50.1.0 is still supporting XP x64 as well...

Anyone know how to patch the x64 installer to stop this or what to compare between it and the x86 version to find out?

Apparently, the Visual Studio compiler can indeed set a flag to allow compilation for Windows XP, so it CAN be made to work.  All of the unofficial x64 builds of SeaMonkey also target Windows 7 and higher.

If the developer doesn't allow compilation with the XP compatibility flag set, the limitation is in the executable.

• 2 months later...

In Windows XP/2003 x64 it is possible to make working these builds of mozilla-family browsers:

Mozilla Seamonkey 2.43 (x64) ( search for seamonkey-2.43.en-US.win64.installer.exe )

Mozilla Firefox 46 (x64) ( official https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/46.0/ )

You need some modifications:

1) Don't run installer (it requires Windows 7), extract browser files manually - mostly they are in zip format.

2) Change OS version/Subsystem version of seamonkey.exe/firefox.exe to 5.1

This method could be used with other versions.

Edited by bearwindows

• 2 months later...

This is good information! Perhaps I'll give this a try when I get some time.

Firefox is open source, yes? I wonder what would happen if somebody took the source code for the 64-bit version and compiled it with the XP compatibility flag set. Would it just work with few/no changes to the code, or explode spectacularly with a million errors?

c

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2017 at 1:27 AM, cc333 said:

This is good information! Perhaps I'll give this a try when I get some time.

Firefox is open source, yes? I wonder what would happen if somebody took the source code for the 64-bit version and compiled it with the XP compatibility flag set. Would it just work with few/no changes to the code, or explode spectacularly with a million errors?

c

So far second one is happening.  It is hell on earth to compile FF54x64

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Andreasmir said:

What about Firefox ESR 52 x64 for Windows XP x64?

I tryed to fix it with HEXeditor (change 06 to 05) but FF closes after 1-2 sec. Firefox ESR 45.9.0 x64 runs fine.

eba568f39c39t.jpg

What are you trying to do?  If you just want the minimum FireFox that I recommend for XP-64bit use v43.0.4.  It is patched and works for Youtube 1080P and has SHA-256 cert.  You can use the 52.0.3ESR but I found it laggier after testing almost each FireFox version recently to find what was broken and still working on multiple websites.