IE6SP1 wont' load secure sites

Chris46

1 hour ago, Chris46 said:

Any hints on where to look in the registry for these IE6 bits?  As I said, I ran registry repair after using IEradicator and didn't find any references.  Also, I have no way of knowing if the IE6 security updates were also uninstalled when IEradicator ran. 

Not really, it's pretty much shooting in the dark to guess where it might be embedded... you could always try searching logical strings in the Registry Editor. For example "ie6" "internet explorer" etc. and see if you hit on any keys or values that contain data for IE6.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:46 PM, jumper said:

You might also try extracting all files from the installer and simply moving them into place.

After hit-and-miss and reading more threads,  I got the IE5.5 cumulative update to run. 

The browsui.dll file version is what the update looks for, not what's in the registry.  When I checked the version in \system it was  ver6.0x. With some effort I was able to extract the ver5.5 browseui.dll from the IE5.5 install files and replace the ver6.0 file in DOS (OS not running): It couldn't be replaced otherwise because you get a 'file in use' error.  It appears that when IE5.5 was installed the ver6.0 browseui.dll was retained since it is newer.  

IE5.5 seemed to work fine otherwise with the ver6.0 browseui.dll.  Which version should I run with long-term?

What's the story with regsvr32?  Do I need to use this with the ver5.5 browseui.dll?

• 2 years later...

I believe the Google server blocks IE6 if any system settings were altered I do not know. I would delete all history cookies temp Internet files the works but I do not think it will work. I tried installing IE5.5 after IE6 and did not notice any difference in 2017 (roughly) so I do not think it could access HTTPS. We trust web servers but they could send what they want. ThePirateBay.org home page can still be accessed with IE6 for some reason. Base memory addresses of the files could make a speed difference as less files needed shifting in RAM the better. Browseui is an important file and will have to be changed to 5.5 for proper confirmation about HTTPS. Can be done off-line with startup floppy REN for rename DEL for delete or with another boot drive. Yes I think regsvr32 %WinDir%\system\browseui.dll will be a good idea if as you say IE5.5 is installed but first regsvr32 %WinDir%\system\browseui.dll -u of IE6 one.

Edited by Goodmaneuver