Windows Installer Helper Utility

xper

Hi midiboy!

Well, both ways, of course, are possible, just dependent on one's own needs. Certainly it's possible, too, to import a registry file with some tweaks at T-13 mark. But many installation routines only write data into registry's HKCU hive and I don't really want to search for those entries and add them to every user manually; this can be done much more nicer by let's call it "T-13-method".  Yeah, and what is even more, often some files are copied to Application Data in the profile folders directory and so on, these files will be copied later to every newly created user account automatically which wouldn't be the case if I don't install software during T-13

Hi my2001!

I understand ! Thanks for your explanation. Haven´t thought about this yet. I wish more software developers would install for all users by default.

Furthermore: for daily work one should never use admin rights.

Are you really really doing this yourself ? :rolleyes:

I know of course that it would be better to work with restricted rights but there are far too many problems currently with different applications so it is a real pain to do this. Also, since I am the only user on my PC I like to do all kinds of administrative tasks while doing other stuff on my PC so I would need to constantly switch between Administrator and User account. Not really my idea of working with a PC.

Security is important and I do whatever I can but I don´t want to restrict my rights while I am doing stuff on my PC.

Things are different for companies or more public PC´s, I agree.

:)

Ciao,

Alex

No if Group.x=1 is specified WIHU will not change anything after install. Only if Group.x=0 was specified WIHU will first assign this new user full access rights during installation which will removed later after first logon of this user.

Thanks for your explanation ! :)

Bye,

Alex

Hey Benjamin,

well, if I have this in my install.ini:

[users]DefaultHome=%Personal%

it should set Basisordner to the Personal folder, right ? You fixed this a few days ago I think but in your latest version, Basisordner is empy again ... ( see pic )

Bye,

Alex

I downloaded from your website thinking it would be the latest version ... but it´s hard to say ... without buildnumbers

Just take a look at the version information. On the web page is the latest version.

Btw. also take a look at an older posting ... I mentioned there that I changed "DefaultHome" to "Home", this seems to be your problem.

Benjamin

Btw. also take a look at an older posting ... I mentioned there that I changed "DefaultHome" to "Home", this seems to be your problem.

Argh, I hate it when people edit old posts ! :D:)

I saw it now, thanks ! :-) :rolleyes:

Byebye,

Alex

Furthermore: for daily work one should never use admin rights.

Are you really really doing this yourself ? :D

I know of course that it would be better to work with restricted rights but there are far too many problems currently with different applications so it is a real pain to do this. Also, since I am the only user on my PC I like to do all kinds of administrative tasks while doing other stuff on my PC so I would need to constantly switch between Administrator and User account. Not really my idea of working with a PC.

Security is important and I do whatever I can but I don´t want to restrict my rights while I am doing stuff on my PC.

Things are different for companies or more public PC´s, I agree.

Ciao,

Alex

Hi Alex!

Well, to be honest: Yes, I do use restricted rights when working at my computer here.

Because this is one of the most powerful things to increase security and at the same time not very difficult nor problematic, believe me. :) Working under admin privs is just a no-no. :rolleyes:

Many people think there would be too many problems when they set back to restricted rights, but this isn't really true. Most of the programs (Office, bla bla) are designed to work with restricted rights, even more, this is the level intended for daily work, not admin privileges!

Nowadays only a few programs don't work properly with those limited rights, but this is a minority and furthermore it's no big deal to get rid of these probs. You just have to change the rights of a few directories and/or registry keys, that's all. And what do you get? Security. It's up to everyone to decide what he or she prefers. But afterwards people shouldn't complain about viruses and a faulty operating system, bla bla *hihi*

And by the way: I want to do administrative tasks as well with my pc, sure! But no problem as well, just log on as an admin for some minutes, do your stuff, and then use user rights again. *hehe* I don't t want to administer my system whole day long, this is what isn't my idea of working with a pc. :D