Nero 6.6: Keep it simple

GDragoN

Hi,

I have seen a lot of instructions for making Nero installations. Well, they definilty work, but some people have problems with that repacking removing components. Since we all (more or less) make DVD installations, there is no 700 MB limit to fit all stuff in. Why to loose time packing Nero and loosing time in the install process to unpack that. I use the simple method of includding complete Nero unpacked on the DVD.

Nero will take 250 MB for all features (Nero, NeroVision & NeroPlayer). You can install all features or every feature sepparatly. Nero 6.6 Reloaded has following folders:

Common Files

CoverDesigner

Nero 6

Nero Media Player

Nero Vision Express 3

Redist

And Setup.exe Multiinstaller.

So I use this for RunOnceEX:

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /V 1 /D "\"%SystemDrive%\Install\Nero\Nero 6\Setup.exe\" /SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOREBOOT /NOLICENSE" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\007 /V 2 /D "\"%SystemDrive%\Install\Nero\Nero Vision Express 3\Setup.exe\" /SN=XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX /WRITE_SN /SILENT /NO_UI /NOREBOOT /NOLICENSE" /f

You can make the same instruction for Media Player, because I don't use it.

You will save time and nerves for creating rar installers, removing stuff from the installation, because you can delete what ever you want after installing program; simply delete folders from Program Files/Ahead folder you don't need.

In the RunOnceEX REG keys you see up there you can see sequence \". This you must use because the path to the setup.exe files have blank characters, and you need to use quotes.

This will work with any version of Nero 6. Just unpack the whole installer and you will get all stuff in one place.

Millan

I leave the installer as is - no repacking, I really don't care if there is a extraction screen with filenames listing, in fact, it actually shows something is hapenning. It's only 70mb, doesn't take much space on my DVD.

It looks like not that much people install from DVDs actually, it's kinda surprising. But then again, even if you have a DVD writer (drives and media IS dirt cheap nowadays) that doesn't mean all the PCs you'll install to have DVD drives (after all, aren't unattended discs for that?)

To bucketbuster

Well I don't copy all files. Big installations like Office and Adobe programs, Nero and other I keep on DVD and install from it.

To crahak:

This is mostly for home use, prepering discs for multiple machines can be done differently.

Millan

The real good solution is to make a NSIS LZMA-compressed installation that extract the install files and run the setup silently... It is the best solution in order to save place when you have all the 4 package + language translation to install.

I leave the installer as is - no repacking...

Same here. :D Because Nero's compression is better. I wonder which compression utility they use to compress their releases.

rar archive for sure ;)

Really? But if I extract the contents of the original nero installer and repack it using best compression of winrar, the output file is still bigger than the original.