HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

fdv

Can I trust Daisy's report? HOTFIXES daisy will install:

1. Q826232 | Buffer Overflow in Windows Troubleshooter ActiveX Control Could Allow Code Execution (826232)

2. Q828035 | Buffer Overrun in Messenger Service Could Allow Code Execution (828035)

3. Q835732 | Security Update for Microsoft Windows (835732)

4. Q828741 | Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM (828741)

5. Q837001 | Vulnerability in the Microsoft Jet Database Engine Could Allow Code Execution (837001)

6. Q842526 | Vulnerability in Utility Manager Could Allow Code Execution (842526)

7. Q841533 | Vulnerability in NetDDE Could Allow Remote Code Execution (841533)

8. Q841356 | Vulnerability in Windows Shell Could Allow Remote Code Execution (841356)

9. Q885250 | Vulnerability in Server Message Block Could Allow Remote Code Execution (885250)

10. Q873333 | Vulnerability in OLE and COM Could Allow Remote Code Execution (873333)

11. Q891781 | Vulnerability in the DHTML Editing Component ActiveX Control Could Allow Remote Code Execution (891781)

12. Q888113 | Vulnerability in Hyperlink Object Library Could Allow Remote Code Execution (888113)

13. Q893086 | Vulnerability in Windows Shell that Could Allow Remote Code Execution (893086)

14. Q890859 | Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege and Denial of Service (890859)

15. Q329414 | Buffer Overrun in Microsoft Data Access Components Could Lead to Code Execution (Q329414)

@os2fan2 - FYI, the goal of HFSLIP was to create a fully updated source and then rip the hell out of it. :) Sometimes I use FDV's fileset and other times I heavily reduce using NLITE. However, for my functional w2k setup, I typically run with 10 windows services running and 3 other non-windows services. Everything works fine. The blackviper site does has great info on that sort of stuff though.

@pene - Those two files you mention are required for the Windows Genuine Advantage. If you didn't HFSLIP it, then you will get prompted to download when visiting the WU website. You do NOT need it if not visiting WU. You also do not need the WUA if not you don't visit WU either. I honestly don't follow the latest and greatest WGA revisions, but if you have a link for the latest version, please post it or send FDV a PM with the latest link. :) Also, the extra cabs I have in my HFCABS folder are harmless. I just left them in the folder after I extracted my IE6 installer. Those extra ones don't get processed, so no harm is done. You can put them there if you wish, but those files aren't used anyway. As mentioned in yesterday's posting here, the KB903235 isn't required. After reading what the_guy wrote, I deleted my 903235 hotfix from my HF folder as it's part of the IE update rollup. If it was in the HF folder, no harm is done.

@x-pert - This thread isn't really to discuss what hotfixes you need. I would suggest you use hfnetchk as specified in the instructions on the top part of this thread, and on the screens you should have read when you run HFSLIP.

Edited by tommyp

@tommyp:

My suspicions were confirmed... The old legitcheck doesn't work anymore for all downloads, so integrating the new version would be a good idea...

The new legitcheck is available at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204

The downloaded file will be LegitCheckControl.cab, and not an exe with an msi inside like the previous version... So in order to use it, you will have to make minor changes to HFSLIP (this would also make the installation instructions a bit simpler, as there is no more need to extract the msi from the exe and use MSIExtract).

The cab includes 3 files: The same two files that you've been using (GWFSPIDGen.dll, LegitCheckControl.dll), and an additional file LegitCheckControl.inf, which can be used to install the WGA.

You can integrate it just like before, by using the two files from the cab, or alternatively by using the inf file included in the cab (I guess)... You know best what to do :)

Regards,

Pene

Edited by pene

@TommyP, FDV, et. al

Sorry, didn't mean to cast aspersians. I wasn't upset/offended/hurt.

I WAS being sarcastic. I love you guys! :wub:

The work you have been doing is not only valuable, but down right nifty!

And (TommyP) I PROMISE I will use an updated cmd on my nxt build.

btw: that weirdness with hang at T-9 after Nlite doesn't happen with an older version of nlite or with non-slipped source. Must be some odd interaction with my added tools ? Anywho, keep the faith!

You can find the files TommyP and I use by clicking here, and feel free to refer others here as well:

http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#hf

I need someone to help test this before I include it as AU.INF in my fileset

; windows update system, requires HTML subsystem
;
[Version]
signature="$Windows NT$"
ClassGUID={00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
SetupClass=Base
LayoutFile=layout.inf

[DestinationDirs]
file.copy.win = 10
file.copy.sys = 11
file.copy.adm = 17
file.copy.help = 18

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles = file.copy.ie, file.copy.sys, file.copy.win, file.copy.help
RegisterDlls = file.reg
AddReg = addreg
DelReg = delreg

[DefaultInstall.NT]
CopyFiles = file.copy.ie, file.copy.sys, file.copy.win, file.copy.help
RegisterDlls = file.reg
AddReg = addreg
DelReg = delreg

[SourceDisksNames]
1 = %wkscd%,\cdrom_ip.5,,\i386

[SourceDisksFiles]
winhttp.dll = 1
wuaueng.dll = 1
wups.dll = 1
wups2.dll = 1
wuauhelp.chm = 1
wuau.adm = 1
wuaucpl.cpl = 1
wuauclt.exe = 1
wuapi.dll = 1
cdm.dll = 1
iuengine.dll = 1
wuaueng1.dll = 1
wuauclt1.exe = 1
wuweb.dll = 1
wucltui.dll = 1

[file.reg]
winhttp.dll
wuaueng.dll
wups.dll
wups2.dll
wuaucpl.cpl
wuauclt.exe
wuapi.dll
cdm.dll
iuengine.dll
wuaueng1.dll
wuauclt1.exe
wuweb.dll
wucltui.dll

[file.copy.sys]
winhttp.dll
wuaueng.dll
wups.dll
wups2.dll
wuaucpl.cpl
wuauclt.exe
wuapi.dll
cdm.dll
iuengine.dll
wuaueng1.dll
wuauclt1.exe
wuweb.dll
wucltui.dll

[file.copy.win]

[file.copy.adm]
wuau.adm

[file.copy.help]
wuauhelp.chm

[addreg]
;
; RunOnce Commands
;
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","01",,"%11%\winhttp.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","02",,"%11%\wuaueng.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","03",,"%11%\wups.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","04",,"%11%\wups2.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","05",,"%11%\wuapi.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","06",,"%11%\cdm.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","07",,"%11%\iuengine.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","08",,"%11%\wuaueng1.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","09",,"%11%\wuweb.dll /register"
;HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce","10",,"%11%\wucltui.dll /register"

[delreg]

[Strings]
wkscd = "Windows 2000 Professional CD"

Edited by fdv

Thanks to Pene for his inputs with the WGA link, which required a little change in HFSLIP. So the Pene version is now up along with FDV's new instruction set (minor change) and first post updated.

Remember, please follow the error reporting technique spelled out in the first post so we can help with errors/issues.

Hi tommyp,

Your batch file is always the best batch file I ever seen :D

What is interest of line 2039 ?

MOVE WORK\SVCPACK SOURCESS\I386

The files are still in SOURCESS\I386

Another typo error :

ECHO. >> SVCPACK.INF
ECHO [SetupData]>> SVCPACK.INF
ECHO CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK">> SVCPACK.INF
ECHO. >> SVCPACK.INF
ECHO [SetupHotfixesToRun]>> SVCPACK.INF
)

Remove the ) (line 2150)

Just a note for those who use fdv's IE removal files and still want to use Outlook Express:

1. Use fdv's OE installer (Limited Edition :hello:

2. If there are any errors after installation. First run winhtml.inf from your disk (it's fdv's file also). This file installs Help System (you may also modify it or make an installer with it). Then run OE installer again.

3. I have not try this but it theoretically could work: first run winhtml.inf from disk and then run msoe.inf (the file was included in previous versions of fdv's files). Of course if you make use of DELFILES.TXT some files may be missing ;)

OE and Address Book work pritty good on my system. I installed Help System with custom installer during unattended and ran OE installer after installation.

Edited by Oleg_II

Just a note for those who use fdv's IE removal files and still want to use Outlook Express:

1. Use fdv's OE installer (Limited Edition :hello:

2. If there are any errors after installation. First run winhtml.inf from your disk (it's fdv's file also). This file installs Help System (you may also modify it or make an installer with it). Then run OE installer again.

3. I have not try this but it theoretically could work: first run winhtml.inf from disk and then run msoe.inf (the file was included in previous versions of fdv's files). Of course if you make use of DELFILES.TXT some files may be missing ;)

OE and Address Book work pritty good on my system. I installed Help System with custom installer during unattended and ran OE installer after installation.

@Oleg_II, in instruction 2, how do you run "winhtml.inf"?

@fdv, is the Limited Edition OE installer available on your website?

Just noticed a little thing. This link on the webpage for Windows 2000/XP instuctions is not valid anymore.

Windows Media Player 10

Media Player 10 can go into HF folder if you want it slipstreamed. It will be installed with TWO less skins, but otherwise it will appear fully slipstreamed. If you prefer to have the two skins that are with WMP10, then put the WMP10 installer into the HFSVPK_SW folder instead and it will be integrated instead (see below, next step). Note for 2003 users. I don’t know what 2k3 comes with, but try slipstreaming WMP10 in the HF folder and see if WMP10 installs. I have no idea if it will work or not.

http://www.btsunattended.net/Projects/WMP10_Slipstreamer

-Moat

saugatak

You can run the file directly from CD after installation. Just make sure you have this file and don't have DELFILES.TXT in FDVFILES folder before slipstream because it deletes some files needed.

I personally made a silent installer with all files needed and run it through cmdlines.txt in OEM folder. And I tweaked the .inf and deleted two files from installation that fdv marked as dangerous: jscript.dll and shdoclc.dll. They are not needed for OE and opening of .chm files!

PS Frankly speaking I have two very large (about 7MB each) .chm files that don't open but I don't care now as others open good and my favourite html tool opens with no problem :)