thunderbird 1.0 silent install

graysky

I have read about a dozen threads here on this topic, found a self extractor, an msi, and a link to a page that teachs one how to customize the installation, but I haven't found a thread that teaches how to do a silent install without using a custom built installer. Is the answer "you can't" because of that **** bug in the installer that doesn't allow one to use the -ira -im switches?

Please reply if you can show me a thread I missed (shame on me) or if you can explain how to accomplish a basic silent install (nothing fancy, just no user interaction without using an installer package someone else built).

Thanks!

afaik, mozilla did not put any silent switches in their installer, which is why you have to use a custom one. The easiest one is the one found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...&hl=thunderbird

a post totoymola made linking to an SFX archive that extracts an MSI that performs the install is in that link.

use that. no switches required as they're built into the SFX

afaik, mozilla did not put any silent switches in their installer, which is why you have to use a custom one.

they did. but as graysky said, the latest builds of their setup program is bugged and keeps freezing at the same point (install dir screen, as far as i remember)

Tell me about it. I tried the same thing with the ini file mod and it starts installing beautifully and then just freezes. I might make my own installer as I use the very loverly scriptable NullSoft Installer which is free.

Does it install a bunch of reg keys or anything else funny other than just copying the files cause I know you can just get the zipped versions from Mozilla?

If all it does is copy files then that's easier and it's not like I'm going to remove it after it's installed (unless I wanted to update it which is quite possible I suppose but then I could implement a new version which would remove the old one if it existed. Still simply a case of deleting files).

--Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Tell me about it. I tried the same thing with the ini file mod and it starts installing beautifully and then just freezes. I might make my own installer as I use the very loverly scriptable NullSoft Installer which is free.

Does it install a bunch of reg keys or anything else funny other than just copying the files cause I know you can just get the zipped versions from Mozilla?

If all it does is copy files then that's easier and it's not like I'm going to remove it after it's installed (unless I wanted to update it which is quite possible I suppose but then I could implement a new version which would remove the old one if it existed. Still simply a case of deleting files).

--Phil

It doesn't install TOO many strange things but things do go to different places, like $Docs and $Progs for example.