Run $OEM$ from a Floppy?

Barring an official response from Microsoft, I just thought of something that might provide a usable workaround. Create a cmd file with the following code and call it from cmdlines.txt as usual.

if exist a:\cmdlines.cmd start /wait a:\cmdlines.cmd
exit

Then make a cmdlines.cmd script that can be run as a sort of pseudo-cmdlines.txt. I will run a test on this now to see what happens and post back with the results in a while.

Edit: Forgot about the fact that you are using original CDs. ****. Oh well, maybe this workaround will be useful to others. I will still post results of the test once I am done.

Edited by Cartoonite

and call it from cmdlines.txt as usual.

hmmm... the problem are...

i wish to call a cmdlines.txt from a floppy. so from where did you call your cmdlines.txt... from winnt.sif?

and call it from cmdlines.txt as usual.

hmmm... the problem are...

i wish to call a cmdlines.txt from a floppy. so from where did you call your cmdlines.txt... from winnt.sif?

I think there may have been a bit of miscommunication. Check your PM for contact information if you would like to speak to me directly.

Here's my method of doing it

maybe you'll get ideas from these files

the cmdlines.txt does need to be placed in the correct folder

all other files go on the floppy

works great :thumbup

Yeah, this is pretty much the same thing I came up with. Unfortunately this solution won't work for FeTT!'s problem because he needs to install Windows from original installation discs. If any modification is going to be done, it all has to come from the floppy.

all the poor guy has to do is create HIS cd of home, pro, corp pro and then it would work

he could even incorporate the latest service packs and freebie programs like Adobe Reader, Zonealarm and others

why do you think I did mine the way I do it?

It's legal to make a backup copy, and with the floppy he can change the serial number for the version of XP he is working on, and as a bonus enter user info as well :w00t:

so far all the home version serials I have run into all work, and I've only found 2 versions of Pro, the regular and the corporate

why is this so difficult?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

the solution I have is the following:

- original CD

- in winnt.sif

[setupParams]

UserExecute = "a:\regedit.exe /s a:\hklm.reg"

- winnt.sif on the floppy

- regedit.exe and hklm.reg on the floppy

I did not test it with a cmd file. Importing regs is working fine. It runs immediately after setup completes, but before final restart.

HTH

Lesliel

• 1 month later...

I know what does work, because I just did it!

Where we were going wrong is thinking we needed a cmdlines.txt file, or even an $OEM$, well we don't.

It's so simple, I dont know why I didn't think of it sooner

in winnt.sif

[GuiUnattended]
   DetachedProgram = cmd.exe
   Arguments = "/C START A:\Xtras.cmd"

and obviously put Xtras.cmd in the root of the floppy with your winnt.sif.

The beauty of this is I can add all my HKCU entries immediately for all users using REG.EXE directly in the cmd file and when you think about it, the cmd can then run anything you need.

For instance it could copy a RunOnceEx.cmd file to your %systemdrive% which could also be run from [GuiRunOnce] in your winnt.sif. This could also be set to give the CDROM a variable and run stuff from CD. You could add reg files other batches and even without a CD copy a small compressed file for extraction etc.

You could have a single SP2 integrated CD and just carry a frequently updated collection of hotfixes ran from a batch file, no more new install cd for every hotfix!

This could also be great if you dont have a DVD facility, because your apps will fit a lot easier onto a CD without Windows taking up space!

....This is massive, the options are almost endless, an unattended install using the customers CD but your Xtras!

All we need now are various members trying different things to see exactly what is possible armed with this discovery.

<Edit>

This now has little bearing on the 'original question' unless we could somehow change the 'thread title'.

FeTT!, Mod's, what do you think?

</Edit>

Edited by Yzöwl

Nice work, Yzöwl. :thumbup

@FeTT!

Do either of the two posted solutions do what you need? You were testing one suggested by lesliel just over a month ago, but never posted back to say whether or not it worked.

Please do keep us informed. :)

Here is an example using my first test file

@ECHO OFF
%~dp0cmdow @ /HID

:: Renaming Admin account
%~dp0renuser.exe Administrator "IT Manager"

:: Internet Explorer Settings
REG ADD "HKCU\......taken out for space reasons

GOTO :EOF

I just stuck both renuser.exe and cmdow.exe on the floppy

The only thing which didn't seem to work for the IE settings was the override cookie settings, although I may have put the wrong code in for that!

The other surprising thing was that the Administrator name change even worked this early on in the install. You can then have your renamed Admin account using a folder with his own name instead of having a system created Administrator one and at logon the new name shows, if no others have been created, using the password from your winnt.sif