Run $OEM$ from a Floppy?

Hi' Im a IT and i wish to run a cmdlines.txt on a floppy ( cause i use the original cd of my clients.) I try about 3 hours today.... no luck :(

-------------------------------------------------------

;winnt.sif

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemFilesPath="a:\$OEM$"

-------------------------------------------------------

Its is possible? Or i make a mistake?

Thx

You simply need only place the winnt.sif file on the root of the floppy and it has to be in the drive during startup of Windows XP setup. Good luck.

Right. But there's no way he can run cmdlines.txt from floppy.

That's what he's asking. :P

Cmdlines.txt A configurable text file that you use to customize an unattended installation. Cmdlines.txt contains a list of commands that run synchronously after Setup finishes, but before a computer restarts. Cmdlines.txt can exist on the destination computer’s hard disk or on a floppy disk, and must be specified in the [unattended] section of Unattend.txt or Winnt.sif.

from :http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...icb_ui_wthn.asp

Its for Server2003.... but for XP?

Thx!

Here's something to try!

Create a folder named Extras in the root of your floppy disk and inside this create a folder called $OEM$. Now create a winnt.sif file and add the following.

[Unattended]
InstallFilesPath = A:\Extras

Put your Cmdlines.txt file in $OEM$ and your winnt.sif in the root of your floppy disk.

If it doesn't work, try moving the winnt.sif file to the $OEM$ folder on your floppy.

I haven't tried it, unfortunately my desire to run free only software on my current setup, prevents me from using a VM to make tests.

I was under the same impression you were until I read the MS line regarding Cmdlines.txt.

I've serarched high and low for information, and came across the InstallFilesPath line in [unattended] quite by accident in some sysprep notes. I thought it worth a mention, you never know, we might get lucky.

Normally, I'd have simply dismissed it, but since it was along very similar lines to FeTTs original attempts, I decided to post and cross my fingers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...