Cable to T1? Whats the point

matrix0978

i dont get the point of having T1. Right now i have cable paying 53 a month with 5mb down 800kbps up. And i could get T1 for under 100 and i know that has the 1.5 mbps up but it also have 1.5mbps down doesnt it. Thats nothing. The upload is almost twice as much as mine but the downstream is 1/3 of what i have. So whats the point of T1 compared to Cable besides the upload?

A T1 is full duplex, which means you can send and receive at 1.54Mb at the same time. Cable upload lags when you are using a great deal of your download bandwidth because it's only half duplex. Also, Cable is shared bandwidth. While most of the time you won't see much of a slowdown, there are times you will. T1 is basically guaranteed bandwidth.

btw If they offer new dsl service in your area with much-higher speeds, say comparable to your cable or above, it may be worth it-- likely it'd have fiber the last mile: bandwidth'd be solely each line's-- no concerns w/ heavy node usage lowering anyone's throughput.....

You see, internet connection lines, like Tx and DSx, are rated not for their upload/download speed, but for the volume of traffic they can handle simultaneously. Try this. Run a web server on your cable line and find a T1 or DS3 server with the same "upload speed". You will notice that if you start two download threads from your cable server, the speed of your download will be cut in half (roughly), while starting two threads from a T1 or DS3 server will barely affect the download speed (assuming the server is not overloaded).

For example, my school has a T1 connection at 1.5M up and down, and it runs its own server. Even if the school found a plan that gave them "sared" cable or "non-business" DSL that offered higher speeds, it would be a stupid move for them to switch.

In reality, I don't really believe in having an internet connection for a home that is over 2Mbps down and 700 Kbps up. Even when downloading a large file from a fast server, there is little improvement of the download time, because with a 5Mbps connection, you are pretty much limited to the server's load and upload speed.

You know how they say, it's not about quantity - it's about quality.

I wouldn't pay all that extra money for the T1..... also IF your cable isp is seeking business agressively, they should have a business package for about the cost of the T1 line and say 8-12 down, 1-2 up....

OR: i'd much rather add a second web connection, usually for @50% extra, and just use load balancing & dual modems.....

Yeah but T1 if from a different company. Right now im using Cox Communications. And i think if i got T1 i would go to Sky Ranger or something werid company like that. But if it worth it i mean..... How many things do you download at 5 mb?

Unless you are running a web server (and expect significant traffic) or if you estimate more than 7 people will access the internet at the same time through one connection, I see no reason to upgrade to T1.

My suggestion is if you don't know the exact benefits of it (if you don't know whether you need it), then you don't need it. It's just like if you don't know whether you need Windows XP Home or Pro, then you probably don't need Pro. Only if you know you need T1 do you need T1.

Unless your running a server or a small home biz that demands consistand bandwidth, there would eb no point to getting a T1.

Cox is very consistand, so unless you demand concurant up and downspeeds or 1.5 then it would be a waste of money.

|Drew|