Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

• 2 weeks later...

one question:

why ist this fine piece of software only for the ENGLish version of win98se?

someone tried it (unsuccesful) on a different version?

Because it contains some localized Windows 98 SE files, namely:

Hardware.hlp - Q242975

Hotplug.dll 4.10.2224 - Q242975

IOS.VXD 4.10.2225 - Q239696

Systray.exe 4.10.2224 - Q242975

User.exe 4.10.2231 - Q291362

242975xxx8.exe is freely available from Microsoft in many languages - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242975

291362xxx8.exe is not publicly available hotfix, you have to ask Microsoft Support for your language version

239696xxx8.exe is not publicly available hotfix, you have to ask Microsoft Support for your language version

(xxx is the language version, USA for US English, GER for German, FRN for French, etc.)

I suppose that the English version would work as well, but some system message will be in English. You can try it.

Petr

Is anybody able to give me an advice how to solve the already mentioned problem with Mitsumi USB FDD?

It works well on Windows ME, 2000 and XP with no additional driver.

It works well on Windows 98 SE with Mitsumi supplied driver.

It does not work on Windows 98 SE with NUSB 2.2 - connecting cause blue screen. The problem is described in detail on page 2 of this topic.

Petr

IMHO:

1. Make sure your mobo BIOS Setup USB options are all enabled.

2. Check Device Manager see which IRQ is used by USB devices.

3. If same IRQ used also by other devices, make sure IRQ steering is enabled.

If not, enable it and reboot.

4. Check the Mitsumi device resources and make sure they are not used by any other device in your PC.

If u see any conflicts, try to manually adjust resources [if allowed]. Reboot if necessary.

5. In Device Manager -> your Universal Host Controller "name" [depends on your mobo chipset ID] -> Advanced tab -> make sure the box "Disable USB error detection" is checked -> if not, check it -> reboot.

6. If still doesn't work: if USB shares same IRQ with any other device -> go to Reserve Resources tab -> add that particular IRQ -> reboot.

7. After reboot Windows should redetect all USB devices, but now they should have a different IRQ assigned.

8. Repeat step 5 if necessary.

9. If still doesn't work:

install 98SE2ME [5-21-2005 edition should be bug free as far as I know]:

http://www.mdgx.com/4

for the updated WinME *.SYS files in %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS + other hardware detection files [HID*.*, USBUI.DLL] in %windir%\SYSTEM which are mostly for USB devices. 98SE2ME also installs:

NTMAPHLP.PDR

USBMPHLP.PDR

NTMAP.SYS

USBNTMAP.SYS

from WinME, which may help.

10. Repeat step 5 if necessary.

11. Make sure there are no conflicts in Device Manager for your Mitsumi device.

12. Try also to disable all power saving/APM/ACPI options from your OS and mobo BIOS. Reboot if u do.

If still doesn't work, please see this troubleshooting guide, there may be a couple of things you can still do:

http://www.mdgx.com/98-5.htm#FWUE

Good resource:

http://www.usbman.com/

Also, it may be a good idea to contact Mitsumi [or check their web site], maybe they have a solution, even if 98SE is not supported anymore.

See if they have a WinME specific driver [eventually newer], and try to install it.

If u can't install the ME driver, mod the INF file to allow u to install [that's easy, I can help with that if u want].

If they have a 2000 or XP specific driver, that may work also, but u may need some INF modding to force it to install [see above].

Hope this helps.

Hi MDGx,

thanks for your long list advices, but on the same box, W98SE with Mitsumi driver and WME with no additional driver works well, just W98SE with NUSB22 causes BSOD. I don't use PnP OS setting in BIOS, so the resources are set by BIOS and always the same.

The only thinhg I can try is to install English W98SE + 98SE2ME - but just to see if it works.

The final solution would be (I suppose)

1) to remove Mitsumi FDD from NUSB22 INF files and install Mitsumi supplied driver for 98SE, or

2) to modify something to make Mitsumi FDD work with no additional driver.

Petr

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, maximus-decim!

I've prepared all USB files for Slovenian version of Windows 98SE. I've tested them on many computers - SiS, VIA, Intel chipsets, PCI USB cards (NEC, VIA) and with different USB mass storage devices (Lexar, Transcend, Corsair, Kingston, iXiX), USB CD-RW writers and USB external HDD closures. Results: no problems. Now I would like to make an executable like yours and put it on rapidshare.de! The problem is that I do not know how to make an executable setup (now I right click on INF file and do install). Can you help me?

BTW, there is a problem with SiS661FX chipset. It seems that there is no Win98 driver for USB 2.0 (just built-in USB 1.1). Is (will be) there a solution?

Regards

The problem is that I do not know how to make an executable  setup (now I right click on INF file and do install). Can you help me?

I used the iexpress.exe from the IEAK6 (Internet Explorer Administration Kit).

It is possible to pack WInRAR, to start on installation:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection _nusb.inf

BTW, there is a problem with SiS661FX chipset. It seems that there is no Win98 driver for USB 2.0 (just built-in USB 1.1). Is (will be) there a solution?

Use OrangeWare USB 2.0 driver.

Hello,

The problem is that I do not know how to make an executable  setup (now I right click on INF file and do install). Can you help me?

I used the iexpress.exe from the IEAK6 (Internet Explorer Administration Kit).

It is possible to pack WInRAR, to start on installation:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection _nusb.inf

Use OrangeWare USB 2.0 driver.

Thanks for iexpress. I'll try it. Regarding Orangeware and SiS: I have Epox motherboard and there are no drivers on their page for SiS USB 2.0. So I downloaded USB 2.0 Orangeware drivers from MSI support site. I tried to install USB 2.0 device using them but device is not recognized. Then I edited their INF file and added information about my PID, VID and SUBSYSTEM. After that PCI controller was recognized as USB 2.0 device, but there is a yellow question mark displayed in system properties. It seems that not all SiS chipsets are supported by Orangeware Windows 98 driver. What do you think?

Regards, Roman

Use last version OrangeWare USB 2.0 driver (I have found 2.02.02 08/01/2004):

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD="Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002="SiS USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104="VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5239="ALi USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0068="NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4365="ATI USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

and many other controllers

Hello,

You are right - my version was old. I was not able to find 2.2.2 - it appears that file was available on ALi site, but this company does not exist anymore. Anyhow, I found version 2.3 at http://www.doubleh.com.tw/, which was even newer and recognized more chipsets:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24CD="Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002="SiS USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104="VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5239="ALi USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0068="NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00D8="NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0088="NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_00E8="NVIDIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4345="ATI USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4365="ATI USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

Here is part of history file:

--------------------------------------------------------

Version 2.3 includes support and fixes for the following:

* Fixed Intel hyperthreading issue with control transfers stopping

* Improved transfer aborts

Version 2.2.2 includes support and fixes for the following:

* Handle invalid endpoints

* Support IOCTL_INTERNAL_USB_GET_BUS_INFO

Version 2.2.1 includes support and fixes for the following:

* Fix D2 power state

* Fix Composite suspend problem

Version 2.2 includes support and fixes for the following:

* Improved installer

--------------------------------------------------------

Regards

• 1 month later...

Hi Maximus,

That is a master-piece!!

Just would like to feedback to you, that it should be allowed to unplug the USB drive after right-click the drive in Windows Explorer and in the drop-down menu then click Eject. When we do that, your driver will come up with "Unsafe Removal of Device" popup. Would be great if this can be corrected.

Hi,

I was startled on Win98SE my USB 2.0 disk TwinMos (attached its drivers) can't be recognized by

NUSB22.

Therefore, I used winRAR to look at files in NUSB22.EXE and found that several files can be

replaced by WinME files (attached also for your perusal).

By replacing them and editing SUBSTOR.INF, then NUSB22 can recognize my TwinMos and it's

working well now.

I thought using WinME files will cover more USBs brand and might answers problems if faced by

others.

IMHO, better also provide NOVERCHECK.REG (this file from Tihiy's Revolutionary Pack and also

stated by MDGx in his Killer Replacement WIN98SE2ME) if supposed to include these WinME files

into NUSB next release. :)

Hope this help.

TwinMos.ZIP