Maximus-Decim Native USB Drivers

- usbser.sys 5.1.2600.5512 (from XP-SP3)

Well, Drugwash, IMO what blorked your system was the .inf inside USB20DRV. Of course the files it contains are OK for your system, provided USBSTOR.INF is edited to load WDMSTUB.SYS with USBSTOR.SYS. Now, adding the untested (AFAIK) USBSER.SYS from XP SP3 didn't help any, either. Fact is, I tested it with WDMCHECK.EXE, and it turns out to have the same 3 unsatisfied dependencies that the USBSTOR.SYS (v. 5.0.2195.6773) from USB20DRV has. On the bright side it means it should work, provided it's also loaded with WDMSTUB.SYS, and this means finding the .inf that sets its registry entry and editing it too. The downside is it may be more than one .inf... USBSER.SYS is for the USB virtual serial port, which is mostly used to support USB modems, AFAIK. Here's a screenshot of WDMCHECK's output:

What about USBSER.SYS SP1 or SP2?

NUSB 3.6 Polish language version is available at: https://www.sendspace.com/file/l3r6bw .

Since the original English version also differs in that:

- File Explorer.exe is version 4.72.3612.1710 (instead 4.72.3612.1700), derived from the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE 256 Colors Icons Explorer EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1710 Fix": http://www.mdgx.com/files/EXPL98PL.EXE ;

- Files Hotplug.dll and Systray.exe are in version 4.10.2225 (instead of 04.10.2224), derived from the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE 256 Colors Tray Icon + + Warning HOTPLUG.DLL Systray.exe 10/04/2225 Fix" : http://www.mdgx.com/files/SYSPLGPL.EXE ;

- Files User.exe and User32.dll are in version 4.10.2233 (instead of 10.04.2231), derived from the "Unofficial Windows 98 SE Animated Cursor (.ANI) + Icon Handling USER32.DLL + USER.EXE 4.10.2233 Security Vulnerability Fix" : http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q891711P.EXE .

Because of these differences NUSB 3.6 Polish language version has a sign: "3.6a".

Edited by egrabrych
update link

• 1 month later...

No additional drivers are needed. Determine VID and PID (using USBVIEW or ChipGenius) and add them to USBSTOR.INF. But, with all due respect, that pendrive is the first one I hear NUSB did not detect... are you sure it's working? I have 12 pendrives and 3 external HDDs, plus four SDHC cards, two USB floppies and a SATA/IDE --> USB adapter, and NUSB detects them all correctly.

No additional drivers are needed. Determine VID and PID (using USBVIEW or ChipGenius) and add them to USBSTOR.INF. But, with all due respect, that pendrive is the first one I hear NUSB did not detect... are you sure it's working? I have 12 pendrives and 3 external HDDs, plus four SDHC cards, two USB floppies and a SATA/IDE --> USB adapter, and NUSB detects them all correctly.

I'm 110% positive that it did NOT detect on my Win98.

Device Name: +[E:]+USB Mass Storage Device(PNY USB 2.0 FD USB Device)

PnP Device ID: VID = 154B PID = 0059

Serial Number: AABA158400001499

Revision: 8192

Device Type: Standard USB device - USB2.0 High-Speed

Chip Vendor: (No match record)

Chip Part-Number: (No match record)

Product Vendor: PNY

Product Model: USB 2.0 FD

Tools on Web: (N/A)

Device Descriptor:

bcdUSB: 0x0200

bDeviceClass: 0x00

bDeviceSubClass: 0x00

bDeviceProtocol: 0x00

bMaxPacketSize0: 0x40 (64)

idVendor: 0x154B

idProduct: 0x0059

bcdDevice: 0x8192

iManufacturer: 0x01

0x0409: "PNY Technologies"

iProduct: 0x02

0x0409: "USB 2.0 FD"

iSerialNumber: 0x03

0x0409: "AABA158400001499"

bNumConfigurations: 0x01

ConnectionStatus: DeviceConnected

Current Config Value: 0x01

Device Bus Speed: High

Device Address: 0x01

Open Pipes: 2

Endpoint Descriptor:

bEndpointAddress: 0x81 IN

Transfer Type: Bulk

wMaxPacketSize: 0x0200 (512)

bInterval: 0xFF

Endpoint Descriptor:

bEndpointAddress: 0x02 OUT

Configuration Descriptor:

wTotalLength: 0x0020

bNumInterfaces: 0x01

bConfigurationValue: 0x01

iConfiguration: 0x00

bmAttributes: 0x80 (Bus Powered )

MaxPower: 0x64 (200 Ma)

Interface Descriptor:

bInterfaceNumber: 0x00

bAlternateSetting: 0x00

bNumEndpoints: 0x02

bInterfaceClass: 0x08

bInterfaceSubClass: 0x06

bInterfaceProtocol: 0x50

iInterface: 0x00

Endpoint Descriptor:

bEndpointAddress: 0x81 IN

Endpoint Descriptor:

bEndpointAddress: 0x02 OUT

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Did you add a manufacturer driver to 98se already? If so, you've got to remove it (and that means finding which oemxx.inf it became) before redetectig it. Also it might be needed to hunt down its entry in the registry.

Did you add a manufacturer driver to 98se already? If so, you've got to remove it (and that means finding which oemxx.inf it became) before redetectig it. Also it might be needed to hunt down its entry in the registry.

The usb is cheap. I got it working though. I will never buy another PNY usb. I has to force it then jiggle it til it started to load. :realmad:

The usb is cheap. I got it working though. I will never buy another PNY usb. I has to force it then jiggle it til it started to load. :realmad:

roll1.gif

Now you know why I use Corsair, OCZ or Patriot. It varies from year to year... Corsair was the best for many years, but Patriot is now the best, IMHO. OCZ had a really great one in the OCZ ATV Turbo (the yellow and black ones, which came in 4 GB or 8 GB sizes) but they don't make it anymore. The common, blue and orange OCZ ATVs still exist, but are not so good. But really great pendrives are quite expensive. All three above named manufacturers, plus SanDisk have some intermediate price pendrives for everyday use which are quite fine, though. I don't recommend any other manufacturer, but those four.

Regardless of the brand, consider the following: some manufacturers, in an effort to produce ever slimmer pendrives, decided to omit the armor (metal outer-casing) from some of their pendrive's connectors. The SONY Micro-Vault Tiny was one of the first such armorless pendrives. But... the armor is there for many reasons, one being that it helps hold snugly the connectors in both parts of the USB connection (the pendrive and the machine's USB connector), so that, by omitting it, the manufacturer created a less reliable product, that will give bad contact in any well used USB connector, forcing one to jiggle the pendrive to get contact. So, nowadays I avoid buying any armorless connectored pendrive. I like Corsairs a lot, but I do avoid the Flash Voyager Mini line because of this. Just my 2¢, of course.

post-134642-0-28369200-1324517641_thumb.

Appreciate the "flash drive" information, very interesting. Was doing some further searching on the subject of "rugged/tough" flash drives and came across this article dated March 28th, 2011 ... so it's fairly recent. The author tested flash drives with a 10 foot drop, hitting them with a hammer and putting them in water ... interesting article.

dencorso, I was checking out the Patriot flash drive but I can only fine one listed with a plastic case, I was looking for a metal case but now I think I would like a rubberized metal case for extra shock protection and also moisture protection. Any suggestions on your part since you have tested many different makes of flash drives. I'm still checking out the drives you mentioned. Awhile back I ordered a cell phone battery from Hong Kong, he also had metal flash drives for sale so I bought a 2GB and really liked the feel of the thing, very solid.

Roundup: Rugged Flash Drives From Corsair, Imation, Kingston and LaCie

http://techcrunch.com/2011/03/28/roundup-rugged-flash-drives/

Update if anyone might be interested, I decided to get a 16 GB Corsair Survivor flash drive. It is also USB 3.0 but my computers are only USB 2.0 so I can't take advantage of the faster speed. Made out of lightweight aircraft aluminum and waterproof to 200 meters.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Flash-Survivor-Drive-CMFSV3-16GB/dp/B005MHN6K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325087496&sr=8-1

Edited by duffy98