OEM/DSP/VLK/RETAIL ?

ubern00b

Not related to nLite specifically but you guys know your stuff so I thought I would ask here. I recall seeing an article about editing an inf on the windows CD to make it into any kind of distro you wanted, that being oem/dsp/vlk etc. Anyone know about this or know the article I am refering to and can point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

• 1 month later...

I am a n00b as well, but I have searched into this. I made my unattended with an Upgrade version of XP Pro. I have tried 4 different things, and so far, nothing will let me change to either a Full(Retail) or Volume(Corporate) CD. If you want to know what I have tried, I'd be glad to tell you. I hope things work out better for you than they have for me. Buena suerte senor.

In the I386 dir, there should be a small file named "setupp.ini". In that file there is a line that contains "PID=xxxxxyyy". The 'x' are a five digit code to signify the type of install (Retail, Upgrade, OEM), and the 'y' are a three digit code that tells setup what kind of CDKey to use.

I found most of this info at:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

I recently tried to 'hack' a Dell OEM CD into a Retail CD and it did not go well, but then again Dell alters a lot of the CD. Either way, that should be a good starting place...you could also google 'setupp.ini' and see what you get...and yes there are two 'p' in the file name.

Similair question asked before a few times in this forum and it has not been allowed to continue in every case I can remember. :no:

You are breaking the EULA of the software by altering the way the cd works. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...