Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Which driver package (version number) did you use?

Is your original W2k3 CD and your CD burner ok?

Did you use Nero for burning the CD?

I used 6.69 SATARAID and 6.7 to copy the extra files from as per the instructions.

The CD is appears ok because I can burn an iso without adding drivers and install Windows 2003 on the same hardware configuration without raid enabled.

I used 6.69 SATARAID and 6.7 to copy the extra files from as per the instructions.

The CD is appears ok because I can burn an iso without adding drivers and install Windows 2003 on the same hardware configuration without raid enabled.

After some new tests I detected, that the brandnew nForce SataRaid drivers designed for Vista Beta2 (IDE drivers v. 667) are working flawlessly with W2k, XP and W2k3 and all the various nForce chipsets (inclusive the old ones). Try them!

@ all users with nForce SataRaid systems:

As a consequence of my new tests I recommend generally to take the brandnew SataRaid drivers v. 667 from here. This package contains the same SataRaid drivers as the "official" chipset package 9.34, but is much easier to be integrated, because it has a LEGACY subfolder.

It seems, that this new IDE driver package is not only the best choice for W2k, XP, W2k3 and Vista, but also fully compatible to all known nForce chipsets!

• 2 weeks later...
what about those with just one drive but still have the same restarting problems? do i just use the same method if i dont have raid?
If you have one or more nForce Sata drives, but no Raid array, you should not use the method of the first post.

Nevertheless you can integrate the nForce Sata driver into a bootable CD by doing the following:

1. Download the suitable nForce chipset driver package according my suggestion within the first post of this thread.

2. During the driver integration section of nLite you can integrate the SATA_IDE subfolder of the suitable package as PnP driver. Don't integrate any TEXTMODE driver (neither LEGACY nor SATARAID) and don't press F6 during the install!

CU

Fernando

Fernando1, thanks. just tried it using single driver and selecting sata_ide "nvata" and still the same thing happened.. it was pnp not textmode aswell(not that u get a option to change it)

:( i downloaded the same file from ur link aswell.

ahhh

just tried it using single driver and selecting sata_ide "nvata" and still the same thing happened.. it was pnp not textmode aswell(not that u get a option to change it)
It is not easy to help without any further informations:

Which is the name of your mainboard and what sort of nForce chipset are you using?

Which OS are you going to install?

Are you able to install the OS off the original (not nLited) CD without pressing F6?

Do you use a Maxtor Sata2 hard drive disk? If yes, have you updated the firmware or jumpered to Sata1?

Edited by Fernando 1

Okay I'm running out of ideas so here goes the desperate cry for help.

I have a windows XP MCE with sp2 DVD. I've nlited this to add the nvidia raid drivers (in text mode) from the legacy directory (Ive tried a couple of versions but most recently 6.85 as per page 1 of this thread), nothing else is integrated (no addons, other drivers, nothing at all).

When I install from my nice shiny new DVD the text mode install works fine, the system reboots, the GUI install phase starts and completes. The screen changes to a basic light blue (not the BSOD, more a desktop blue) and the mouse cursor is still visible. The system then freezes completelly (the mouse cursor will not move).

If I manually reboot the box it will pass all the usual BIOS stuff and then BSOD with error code 7b.

I've also tried this with the legacy raid drivers as well as the bus and ethernet drivers to the same outcome.

Any ideas as to what this might be would be appreciated.

My system is

Athlon 64 chip

1GB ram

1 * 120GB PATA disk (windows install is on a 60GB partition on this disk, other 60 is unassigned)

2* 300GB PATA disks (raid array, mirroring)

2* 300GB SATA disks (not in raid).

All disks are 7200rpm and the two raid PATA disks are of identical model.

I love storage me :)

Edited by ophois

"(LEGACY or SATARAID depending on your driver choice and preparation) "

That's the part that confuses me. I followed your instructions to a T and I still get a blue screen asking me to chkdsk. I copied over all required files to the SATARAID folder. I don't quite know what I am doing wrong here.

Should I integrate both the LEGACY & SATARAID folders?

Thanks in advance

-redfive

I have a windows XP MCE with sp2 DVD. I've nlited this to add the nvidia raid drivers (in text mode) from the legacy directory (Ive tried a couple of versions but most recently 6.85 as per page 1 of this thread), nothing else is integrated (no addons, other drivers, nothing at all).

When I install from my nice shiny new DVD the text mode install works fine, the system reboots, the GUI install phase starts and completes. The screen changes to a basic light blue (not the BSOD, more a desktop blue) and the mouse cursor is still visible. The system then freezes completelly (the mouse cursor will not move).

If I manually reboot the box it will pass all the usual BIOS stuff and then BSOD with error code 7b.

I assume, that you have created a "healthy" and not bootable Raid array, that your Master Boot Record (MBR) is on your single 120 GB Pata disk and that this hdd is set as drive C:.

As you don't have a SataRaid, but a PataRaid system, you should do the following:

1. Look into your BIOS and set the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" to 1. your 120 GB PATA disk and 2. your RAID array.

2. Unplug the non-Raid Sata hdd before you begin with the installation.

3. Try to install XP MCE by using your nLited DVD.

If the installation fails, you should create a new nLited DVD with integrated PataRaid drivers (that means: integrate the LEGACY subfolder of the 6.85 driver package as TEXTMODE, but choose only the Raid Controller as device).

"(LEGACY or SATARAID depending on your driver choice and preparation) "

That's the part that confuses me. I followed your instructions to a T and I still get a blue screen asking me to chkdsk. I copied over all required files to the SATARAID folder. I don't quite know what I am doing wrong here.

Should I integrate both the LEGACY & SATARAID folders?

Please give me some details about your system (kind of motherboard and hdd's).

Never do a mixture of LEGACY and SATARAID subfolder!

I assume, that you have created a "healthy" and not bootable Raid array, that your Master Boot Record (MBR) is on your single 120 GB Pata disk and that this hdd is set as drive C:.

As you don't have a SataRaid, but a PataRaid system, you should do the following:

1. Look into your BIOS and set the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" to 1. your 120 GB PATA disk and 2. your RAID array.

2. Unplug the non-Raid Sata hdd before you begin with the installation.

3. Try to install XP MCE by using your nLited DVD.

If the installation fails, you should create a new nLited DVD with integrated PataRaid drivers (that means: integrate the LEGACY subfolder of the 6.85 driver package as TEXTMODE, but choose only the Raid Controller as device).

I'll double check the boot status of the PATA raid, though I'm sure its not set. As for the other steps I'll work through them today or tomorrow. Thanks for the reply, I'll post one way or the other once I've tried these.

Motherboard: A8N-SLI Premium

Drivers used: Windows Vista Beta drivers

Methods:

1.) I moved the required files into the SATARAID folder (NVATABUS.INF, NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL). I then integrated the SATARAID folder as TEXTMODE. Everything installed fine (as it usually does) but on first boot, I get a blue screen with the 7B error (and no I didn't press F6 during the setup!). The blue screen says to CHKDSK etc. I've gotten this blue screen everytime - even before I learned your method.

2.) I then tried it with moving the drivers into the SATARAID folder and integrating both the SATARAID folder *AND* the LEGACY folder. Same blue screen.

Should I integrate the LEGACY folder as PNP drivers? I am lost! THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

-Redfive

Should I integrate the LEGACY folder as PNP drivers?
Take the LEGACY folder (without any file copying) and integrate it as TEXTMODE!

Attention: This advice and my guide (post 1) is only good for users with a SataRaid system. That means, that you have to do something else, if you don't have a proper created and activated nForce RAID array!

So don't even TOUCH the SATARAID folder?

[EDIT]

Okay I just integrated JUST the LEGACY folder and I still get the same blue screen on first boot. back to the drawing board...

[/EDIT]

Edited by redfive19

Attention: This advice and my guide (post 1) is only good for users with a SataRaid system. That means, that you have to do something else, if you don't have a proper created and activated nForce RAID array!

Well, not true, I used the textmode method even though I don't have RAID, and everything is working flawlessly. Btw. those new "Vista" drivers got rid of the famous ID 51 bug (Detected error during paging operation) for me.

Should I integrate the LEGACY folder as PNP drivers?
Take the LEGACY folder (without any file copying) and integrate it as TEXTMODE!

Does that mean I can't use your guide to get my PATA raid working?

UPDATE: Hmm It doesn't apear I can create a non bootable raid array. As soon as I reboot after creating the array it seams to set itself to bootable, and the raid drive doesnt show up in my bios to let me select the boot device order. Maybe Ill try removing the 120PATA and use the 300PATARAID as m windows disks and see if that helps.

Edited by ophois