Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

Does integrating the nvraid drivers as texmode drivers in nLite resolve the issue of them being replaced by the incorrect IDE ones in guimode?
Yes! The replacement of the correct NVIDIA SATA drivers by the wrong MS IDE drivers during the GUIMODE part of the installation does not take place, when you integrate the nForce SataRaid drivers as TEXTMODE drivers using a tool like nLite.
I can report that there is a problem with nForce 6.86 for me.

Endless reboots.

6.85 works fine.

A8N32-SLI Deluxe (Nvidia Raid BIOS 5.50).

That is the reason why I don't suggest to take the nForce SataRad drivers off the 6.86 chipset driver package.

Hey guys, I hope that I can get a helping hand here...

I have been trying to get this to work for a while now with no luck.

I made sure I had all of the files (NVATABUS.INF, NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL) in the legacy folder and used nlite.

I selected nvraid.inf for the intergrate driver part and selected both of the nForce Sata/Raid Controller drivers nLite proposes.

When I try to install windows, I get hung up right before the EULA and get a BSOD.

"Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage..."

I can get further with my original disk, but obviously the RAID drivers are not integrated.

I really wish I had a floppy drive as I am getting pretty fed up with this.

This is my first time messing with raid and so, any help is greatly appreciated.

Im using a DFI Ultra D and two 74gb raptors

Thanks

Edited by Seufari

I made sure I had all of the files (NVATABUS.INF, NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL) in the legacy folder and used nlite.

I selected nvraid.inf for the intergrate driver part and selected both of the nForce Sata/Raid Controller drivers nLite proposes.

When I try to install windows, I get hung up right before the EULA and get a BSOD.

I can further with my original disk, but obviously the RAID drivers are not integrated.

Is your Board the DFI NF4 UltraD (as mine)?

Which driver package did you take for the SataRaid driver integration?

Why and from where did you get the NVATA.CAT into the LEGACY subfolder?

Is your Raid "healthy" and set as bootable device?

Are RAM and PSU ok?

Do you use a SATA connected CD-ROM/DVD device?

Which mainboard BIOS and which Raid BIOS version do you have (look at second boot display)?

Did you use safe BIOS timing settings (no overclocking) during the install?

I can further with my original disk, but obviously the RAID drivers are not integrated.

Is your Board the DFI NF4 UltraD (as mine)?

Which driver package did you take for the SataRaid driver integration?

Why and from where did you get the NVATA.CAT into the LEGACY subfolder?

Is your Raid "healthy" and set as bootable device?

Are RAM and PSU ok?

Do you use a SATA connected CD-ROM/DVD device?

Which mainboard BIOS and which Raid BIOS version do you have (look at second boot display)?

Did you use safe BIOS timing settings (no overclocking) during the install?

1. Yes it's a NF4 Ultra D

2. I used the driver package linked in the first post HERE

3. I took NVATA.CAT from the sata_ide folder. It wasn't required?

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. No

7. I have the 704-2bt BIOS installed, but I am unsure of the RAID BIOS. I'll check and get back to you.

8. No OC during install...

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. No

7. I have the 704-2bt BIOS installed, but I am unsure of the RAID BIOS. I'll check and get back to you.

All things look good....

It is not required to put any file (for example the NVATA.CAT) into the LEGACY subfolder.

My advice: Control your SATA cables and retry the install with your nLited CD.

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. No

All things look good....

It is not required to put any file (for example the NVATA.CAT) into the LEGACY subfolder.

My advice: Control your SATA cables and retry the install with your nLited CD.

Hmm... I just checked and the date on my RAID BIOS is april 26, 2005. It is version number 4.84.

I now have three questions.

Do I need to update RAID BIOS and if so how?

Could nvata.cat be messing things up and should I make another nLited CD without it?

What do you mean by control your sata cables?

Edited by Seufari

I now have three questions.

Do I need to update RAID BIOS and if so how?

Could nvata.cat be messing things up and should I make another nLited CD without it?

What do you mean by control your sata cables?

1. No, you don't need to update your BIOS, unless you want the new MediaShield 5.50 (new name for Raid BIOS). In this case you have to update your BIOS. If you want a tutorial how to update your BIOS, have a look here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php?

2. No, the NVATA.CAT doesn't mess things up.

3. Problems with SataRaid systems are very often caused by broken or not correctly connected SATA cables.

Two more bits of information...

My "original" CD is a burned sliptreamed SP2 cd that I made earlier.

The hang up and eventual shutdown happenes when the bottom says "Setup is starting Windows..."

I am going to try to borrow a Floppy drive from a friend, but I'd really like to get this to work.

I appreciate all of your help.

I can get further with my original disk, but obviously the RAID drivers are not integrated.

The hang up and eventual shutdown happenes when the bottom says "Setup is starting Windows..."
As I have the same mainboard and a very similar system, I don't have any ideas about the issue, that might be responsable for your problem.

If you really followed all my advices giving in the first post of this thread, I would suggest the following:

1. Remove 1 of your RAM sticks (if you have more than 1) and retry to install XP using your nLited CD. If you succeed, you can reintegrate the removed RAM sticks.

2. If the installation fails, retry it after having updated your BIOS. Take the BIOS version you can grab here: http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/BIOS/NF4LD406.EXE

Good luck!

Fernando

I had a bluescreen using NLITE today too, (0x0000007b 0xbacc3524). All windows setup was passed, but just before entering Windows it gave me the BSOD.

Anyway, I read most of the posts here for integrating NForce SATARAID drivers and found that my problem was lying with the NForce SATARAID drivers. (I have a new system MSI K9N NEO (Nforce 550 chipset), AMD AM2 - 4600+, Asus 7900GT. I changed my drivers from the ones on the MSI site to the ones on my CDROM I got with the NForce chipset.

What I did was kept the SCSI/RAID drivers in windows (Deleted all other standard drivers, except SCSI/RAID). And used the shipped drivers (found under folder \nVidia\System\MCP55). Slipstreamed again using WXPPRO (int SP2), unattended, made iso with CDIMAGE, booted and no problems anymore.

Hope this helps for some of you

Thanks a lot for this post. Really saved me. I have the 550 chipset (Same MOBO > MSI K9N NEO-F) and I made several coasters trying to find the right drivers. I tried the "Vista Beta" drivers that were suggested on the first post to no avail (still BSOD after windows load). The only thing that worked for me was the drivers off the Motherboard CD.

Edited by Akom

I had a bluescreen using NLITE today too, (0x0000007b 0xbacc3524). All windows setup was passed, but just before entering Windows it gave me the BSOD.

Anyway, I read most of the posts here for integrating NForce SATARAID drivers and found that my problem was lying with the NForce SATARAID drivers. (I have a new system MSI K9N NEO (Nforce 550 chipset), AMD AM2 - 4600+, Asus 7900GT. I changed my drivers from the ones on the MSI site to the ones on my CDROM I got with the NForce chipset.

What I did was kept the SCSI/RAID drivers in windows (Deleted all other standard drivers, except SCSI/RAID). And used the shipped drivers (found under folder \nVidia\System\MCP55). Slipstreamed again using WXPPRO (int SP2), unattended, made iso with CDIMAGE, booted and no problems anymore.

Hope this helps for some of you

Thanks a lot for this post. Really saved me. I have the 550 chipset (Same MOBO > MSI K9N NEO-F) and I made several coasters trying to find the right drivers. I tried the "Vista Beta" drivers that were suggested on the first post to no avail (still BSOD after windows load). The only thing that worked for me was the drivers off the Motherboard CD.

Thank you both for your posts. Your results are very usefull for other owners of a mainboard with nForce 590/570/550 chipset.

As a consequence I have put your recommendation to integrate the SATARAID subfolder of the mainboard driver CD into my guide (first post ofthis thread).

Thanks again!

CU

Fernando

Hey Fernando, remember this guy from china whith the endless reboots problem? I had the exact same problem at the time with 6.86 + RVMUpdatePack2.1 + latest nlite. I didn't care then, as it was not the time to reinstall, but now since RVMUpdatePack2.1.1 came out, i decided to see if things improved.

I found that the problem is not with nlite or ryan's pack, but with 6.86. I remade a cdrw with the last session and used nForce4_x16_6.85_winxp2k_english. Bingo! No more endless reboots and everything works as advertised.

When i used 6.86, i integrated once the lagacy folder and once the sataraid one but the problem is still there. The strange thing is that after windows got installed OK with 6.85, i manualy installed 6.86 and the raid drivers got updated nicely and there are no reboots. I have no idea how these drivers work when installed manualy and just can't get windows to boot when integrated. The endless reboots are at the point when windws finished installing everything and we are at the forst boot when windows tour should pop. The raid bios shows, and right the next second windows loading screen should apear, but instead i get "endless reboots".

Btw, my mobo is an A8n Sli Premium (latest 1302 bios, 4.84 raid bios) with 2 samsung p120 - 250GB in raid 0.

The windows i used is a SP2 integrated VLK this size - 579 MB (607,250,432 bytes).

Last session atached.

:hello:

Last_Session.ini

I've read through this whole thread, and I just can't seem to get it.

I downloaded the latest Vista Beta drivers. I copied the SATARAID directory to a floppy (I'm trying to use the F6 method). I copied txtsetup.oem from the \ide\legacy directory, as well as the nvatabus.inf. I modified the txtsetup.oem (from legacy) so that it pointed to nvraid.cat. I also noticed there was pointing to nvcoi.dll, which was in the sata_ide directory, but not sataraid (So I copied that file as well)

When I try to install Win2K3, and use F6, it just doesn't find anything.

Any hints?

Thanks

Siobhan

Hey Fernando, remember this guy from china whith the endless reboots problem? I had the exact same problem at the time with 6.86 + RVMUpdatePack2.1 + latest nlite. I didn't care then, as it was not the time to reinstall, but now since RVMUpdatePack2.1.1 came out, i decided to see if things improved.

I found that the problem is not with nlite or ryan's pack, but with 6.86. I remade a cdrw with the last session and used nForce4_x16_6.85_winxp2k_english. Bingo! No more endless reboots and everything works as advertised.

When i used 6.86, i integrated once the lagacy folder and once the sataraid one but the problem is still there. The strange thing is that after windows got installed OK with 6.85, i manualy installed 6.86 and the raid drivers got updated nicely and there are no reboots. I have no idea how these drivers work when installed manualy and just can't get windows to boot when integrated. The endless reboots are at the point when windws finished installing everything and we are at the forst boot when windows tour should pop. The raid bios shows, and right the next second windows loading screen should apear, but instead i get "endless reboots".

That is the reason why I recommend to take the 6.85, when you are going to install Windows XP onto an nForce4 RAID array. You won't even find a notice about the 6.86 chipset driver package wthin my guide (first post of this thread).
I downloaded the latest Vista Beta drivers. I copied the SATARAID directory to a floppy (I'm trying to use the F6 method). I copied txtsetup.oem from the \ide\legacy directory, as well as the nvatabus.inf. I modified the txtsetup.oem (from legacy) so that it pointed to nvraid.cat. I also noticed there was pointing to nvcoi.dll, which was in the sata_ide directory, but not sataraid (So I copied that file as well).

When I try to install Win2K3, and use F6, it just doesn't find anything.

You obviously did not read accurately the first post of this thread:

1. When you don't have a brandnew nForce5xx mainboard, you should not integrate the SATARAID, but the LEGACY subfolder. There is no need to copy anything, because the LEGACY subfolder contains all needed files.

2. It is not recommended at all to copy the TXTSETUP.OEM from one IDE subfolder to another.

3. When you are going to install Windows Server 2003, you should integrate the SataRaid drivers into a bootable CD as well. Use the drivers I recommend (look into the first post).

Fernando,

thanks for getting back to me. I did read the first post.

"If you want to integrate the newest nVRaid drivers into W2k3, you should take the 32-bit nForce chipset driver package you get here. Although this package is mainly designed for Vista Beta2, it works flawlessly with W2k3 too. Unzip the package and store the IDE\driver\LEGACY subfolder somewhere. Users with an nForce 430/410 or nForce 590/570/550 chipset should take the IDE\driver\SATARAID subfolder. In both cases you will need no other preparation."

I got that, it is v6.67 (which I got from your link). I have nForce 430 so I took the SATARAID subfolder. It didn't work. Then I started reading subsequent folders and there was all kinds of stuff about modifying TXTSETUP.OEM, etc (I was desperate and willing to try anything). Point is SATARAID didn't work for me.

BTW, MB is an ASUS M2NPV-VM, and BIOS is latest at 0303 (Wouldn't even work with XP until I upgraded to that BIOS version)

So, are you saying I should build a new CD, or should I be able to use F6?

Thanks again.