Integration of NVIDIA's nForce RAID and AHCI drivers

Fernando 1

@ krzysiek033:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Are you running any Windows OS now?

If yes, have a look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" (or "SCSI and RAID Controllers") section of the Device Manager. Which Controller names do you see?

I have a ASUS M3n72-D mb. I cant get AHCI to work. When I change drivers in windows the system wont boot anymore.
As long as the AHCI or RAID Mode is enabled within the BIOS, the OS needs appropriate AHCI resp. RAID drivers. Otherwise you will not be able to boot the OS anymore.
I tried to integrate drivers in the instaler but still it wont detect any drives. I tried to use orginal AHCI drivers from ASUS with no luck.
Which ASUS driver did you take and how did you integrate it?

By the way: The AHCI/RAID drivers, which I am offering within my guide, are almost newer and possibly better than those you get from the mainboard manufacturer. Furthermore the use of them is much easier, because I have already prepared them for being integrated into a Windows XP CD.

@ krzysiek033:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Are you running any Windows OS now?

If yes, have a look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" (or "SCSI and RAID Controllers") section of the Device Manager. Which Controller names do you see?

Im running drives in IDE mode so I have:

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

2x Primary channel IDE

2x Secondary CHannel IDE

2x Primary dual channel PCI IDE

Under SCSI and RAID COntrollers:

SCSI/RAID Host Controller

I have a ASUS M3n72-D mb. I cant get AHCI to work. When I change drivers in windows the system wont boot anymore.
As long as the AHCI or RAID Mode is enabled within the BIOS, the OS needs appropriate AHCI resp. RAID drivers. Otherwise you will not be able to boot the OS anymore.
I tried to integrate drivers in the instaler but still it wont detect any drives. I tried to use orginal AHCI drivers from ASUS with no luck.
Which ASUS driver did you take and how did you integrate it?

By the way: The AHCI/RAID drivers, which I am offering within my guide, are almost newer and possibly better than those you get from the mainboard manufacturer. Furthermore the use of them is much easier, because I have already prepared them for being integrated into a Windows XP CD.

I intergrated 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 WHQL drivers now not nothing changes.

Edited by krzysiek033

I intergrated 32bit nForce SATA_IDE driver v10.3.0.46 WHQL drivers now not nothing changes.
That would be correct, if you have an nForce SATA system running with enabled "AHCI Mode".

Are you sure, that the SATA Controller, where your hdd is connected,

a ) is a NVIDIA nForce one and

b ) is running in "AHCI Mode"?

EDIT. Now I have realized your answers. This was not easy, because you have quoted the whole text inclusive your reply.

You obviously are runinng your SATA Controller neither in AHCI nor in RAID Mode.

If you want to get Windows XP installed without using the advanced SATA features of AHCI or RAID (that means with your current BIOS settings), you should boot off the original Windows XP without hitting F6 or having integrated any textmode driver.

If you want to run Windows XP in AHCI Mode, you have to do the following:

1. Enter BIOS and change the SATA Controller settings to "AHCI Mode".

2. Put your already prepared Windows XP CD with integrated nForce SATA_IDE driver 10.3.0.46 into the CD/DVD drive and boot off it.

3. Choose the partition where you want to get Windows XP installed (should be formatted previously).

4. Let the XP Setup do its work.

5. Enjoy Windows XP running in AHCI Mode.

Edited by Fernando 1

That would be correct, if you have an nForce SATA system running with enabled "AHCI Mode".

Are you sure, that the SATA Controller, where your hdd is connected,

a ) is a NVIDIA nForce one and

b ) is running in "AHCI Mode"?

EDIT. Now I have realized your answers. This was not easy, because you have quoted the whole text inclusive your reply.

You obviously are runinng your SATA Controller neither in AHCI nor in RAID Mode.

Do the following: Try to boot off the original Windows XP without hitting F6 or having integrated any driver.

I can install XP with my mb set to IDE mode with no problems. When I set it to AHCI, winXP installer wont detect any drives, With or without integration.

Edited by krzysiek033

I can install XP with my mb set to IDE mode with no problems. When I set it to AHCI, winXP installer wont detect any drives, With or without integration.
Then you have done something wrong.

Are you sure, that your hdd is a SATA one and connected to a NVIDIA SATA Controller?

Have you really done the needed AHCI settings within the BIOS?

Since you obviously are still able to run Windows XP, you may give me the HardwareID's of your currently running "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" (Device Manager > "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" > right-click onto "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's").

Then you have done something wrong.

Are you sure, that your hdd is a SATA one and connected to a NVIDIA SATA Controller?

Have you really done the needed AHCI settings within the BIOS?

Since you obviously are still able to run Windows XP, you may give me the HardwareID's of your currently running "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" (Device Manager > "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" > right-click onto "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's").

Im sure its Nforce because mainboard's chipset is nforce 750a

post-264969-1256575912_thumb.jpg

Edited by krzysiek033

@ krzysiek033:

The HardwareID's you have posted belong to the NVIDIA MCP72 PATA Controller.

That would mean, that your hdd is a native IDE (=P-ATA) and not a SATA one.

If I am right, you will not be able to set your hdd to AHCI Mode, because the AHCI features are not supported at all by PATA hdd's.

EDIT: Do you see any other Controller within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section? If yes, give me the related HardwareID's too.

Edited by Fernando 1

@ krzysiek033:

The HardwareID's you have posted belong to the NVIDIA MCP72 PATA Controller.

That would mean, that your hdd is a native IDE (=P-ATA) and not a SATA one.

If I am right, you will not be able to set your hdd to AHCI Mode, because the AHCI features are not supported at all by PATA hdd's.

EDIT: Do you see any other Controller within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section? If yes, give me the related HardwareID's too.

Thats probably because its set to IDE mode. I have two Seagate HDDs. ST31000333AS and ST3320620AS. They are both SATA.

I dont have any other devices other that I listed above.

Thats probably because its set to IDE mode.
"PATA" and "SATA (IDE Mode)" are really different, but maybe the informations I have regarding the DeciceID of the MCP72 IDE/SATA Controllers are wrong (they are from NVIDIA).
I have two Seagate HDDs. ST31000333AS and ST3320620AS. They are both SATA.
OK.
I dont have any other devices other that I listed above.
Where is your CD/DVD drive connected?

My DVD Drive is connected as a SLave in the IDE connector. Mb have onlz one IDE connection on it.
Maybe you have posted the HardwareID's of this IDE Controller.

I repeat: Do you see any other Controllers within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections? If yes, give me the related HardwareID's too.

EDIT:

After having downloaded the manual of your mainboard from ASUS support sites, I have done a deeper look into it.

Your mainboard has 6 NVIDIA nForce SATA ports, but only 2 of them do support AHCI. These are the ports 5 and 6.

So if you want to run Windows XP in AHCI Mode, you have to connect your 2 SATA hdds with these AHCI capable SATA ports.

Edited by Fernando 1

Finnally its working. I had to use different windows CD to integrate drivers in it.
So you did not take a clean XP CD as source? Then you didn't read my guide carefully.

It was not easy to help you, because you didn't answer all my questions and your few answers have always been hidden within your quoted text.

Nevertheless it's fine, that you succeeded at least.

Last questions (hoping for an answer):

1. Which of the different drivers worked for you at least?

2. Which HardwareID's has your freshly installed "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller"?

Finnally its working. I had to use different windows CD to integrate drivers in it.
So you did not take a clean XP CD as source? Then you didn't read my guide carefully.

It was not easy to help you, because you didn't answer all my questions and your few answers have always been hidden within your quoted text.

Nevertheless it's fine, that you succeeded at least.

Last questions (hoping for an answer):

1. Which of the different drivers worked for you at least?

2. Which HardwareID's has your freshly installed "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller"?

Thank you so much for your help, Great tutorial btw.

1. I used drivers from ur guide, but orginal from my motherboard's CD are working too (ver. 10.3.0.46).

2. see attachment (I have polish windows version but its HArdware ID.

post-264969-1256702912_thumb.jpg

Edited by krzysiek033

@ krzysiek033:

Thanks for your reply.

The attached HardwareID's of your now in AHCI Mode running "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller" were a surprise for me, because according to my knowledge they belong to MCP78 (nForce 730a/720a/710a) and not to MCP72 (nForce 780a/750a) chipsets.

Have fun with your freshly installed Windows XP running in AHCI Mode!

Fernando