Quicklaunch Tutorial:

Well

click my link down below: LEAN MEAN REGISTRY Machine: Jump2Reg?

It includes a Reg Search by Bill James, really nice

So you are exporting the HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced.

key. K was wondering if its needed or not but for me it works so I don't argue with what I want to achieve.

Edited by maxXPsoft

I have tried Jump2Reg.

I wrote that I don't need to export ...\Explorer\Advanced in order to get Quicklaunch working.

When I did my tests I only exported the first key, and it worked fine.

When applying all my other reg-tweaks I use both, since I have customized the other one to my preference.

Another thread, haha I have seen a lot on this last couple years

Maybe he needs to try this now cause he hasn't even replied if what they gave him worked, he don't include a link to this post since it was done prior to me ever making this one. 3 days before.

There is a definite problem with the reg key is reason I started this post after seeing so many post that long reg key stuff and why I went looking a long time back for something that really worked. What exactly is the reg going to point to if those shortcuts don't exist? I never stopped long enough to export and look through those Binary keys. By copying the QL folder is main reason this works. You then have the reg pointing and the shortcuts in place.

One person states that's the first thing he does after setup is manually open and set it then export. I can make changes today and they are setup once I'm done installing.

I don't know, let them try that and if it fails then try this.

Edited by maxXPsoft

When will you people learn, it is extremely bad form to use shortcuts created on one machine on another machine. Shortcuts remember the machine they were created on and, by default, they will try to connect to that machine first when you double-click them. This will introduce un-needed delays and network activity.

You can make the shortcuts "stupid" before you copy them using the shortcut.exe ms utility. Or you can turn off "link tracking" in windows. Better yet, don't do it - it's amateurish! Always install re-create the shortcuts using a script or utility.

#6 - Now go to Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer and copy the Quick Launch folder to XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Install\. ...

THIS = BAD! BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD !!!

You are copying shortcut files (.lnk) from one machine (your development machine) to another machine (the PC you're building).

Nois3

What happens when XP encounters a shortcut thats invalid? Gives you that stuff about removing it or either goes off looking for Target and attempts to correct it.

That don't happen with this, never has in as I said about 2 years If the Target is still there then it simply opens it and adjusts anything needing adjusted.

I have several pointing to different drive's and they work like a charm.

Its the same as modding dlls and pratically all the files on a setup which has been occuring here long before you or I came here and it will continue to happen in a quest for that knowledge.

Thats what Msfn is all about.

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...

maxXPsoft,

You're not understanding the issue here. And that's understandable, because very few people really know whats going on with shortcut (.lnk) files.

Try this:

1. Manually create a link to notepad on your desktop.

2. Copy that .lnk file to another computer.

3. Double-click the copied link.

4. Note the delay before notepad actually starts.

5. Now go into Start/Programs and double-click the regular notepad link.

Notice the difference? If you don't, you probably have link-tracking disabled in the registry (good thing to do btw). I'm talking about regular everyday shortcuts here. Shortcut files remember the name of the PC they were created on. The issue I'm talking about here has nothing to do with NTFS.

When you run them on another computer, Windows will "sometimes" try to access the originating PC over the network. To really see this you need 2 PC's with different names on separate networks. The delay can sometimes be quite pronounced, In NT4 I've seen it take minutes to timeout and then finally try and access the program on the local PC.

In my first sysadmin job (a long long time ago) this was a huge problem. I built all the PC's with .lnk files I developed on a test machine. We constantly had performance problems when people tried to start their applications. We also noticed a lot of undue network activity during these delays. It was a well learned lesson when we finally figured out what was going on. When we scripted the creation of these shortcuts (using shortcut.exe instead of copying them, the problem disappeared.

The registry fix is explained here.

Try this:

1. Manually create a link to notepad on your desktop.

2. Copy that .lnk file to another computer.

3. Double-click the copied link.

4. Note the delay before notepad actually starts.

5. Now go into Start/Programs and double-click the regular notepad link.

lolololol :lol: I done that and it takes maybe a millisecond to open Notepad either way, I don't notice any difference on XP. What are you running? NT, just a guess cause most Corps are still running that. We have a few 2000 and all time clocks and Office personnel have XP Pro.

lol yes I remember those delays

Back on a 486 50mhz SX running 3.1 WFW, nowadays we're talking milliseconds with XP. It grunts and wants to delete or it goes out and finds it in very short time.

I'm not talking shortcuts to the Network or other computer's either by the way. My shortcuts are to applications installed to either %ProgramFiles%\APP I want A Quicklaunch or to another drive on my PC which remains the same since I'm formatting my C or D partition for my tests.

These things work for Intended purposes. They also work for most the people who download and run my program that know what they are doing.

I'm sorry Nois3 but I think that what you're saying is yesterday's news if you running XP.

Ignore it if you want. It probably won't be an issue to you personally in the long run. As far as NT4 goes, I was telling a story of how I came upon this issue. This applies to XP and 2K3 also.

But the fact is you'll be using shortcuts that contain invalid data in them. If you do things like this in an enterprise environment you will have problems. Shortcuts should be created on the system in which they'll be used, period.

<edited out because it was mean>

Edited by Nois3

Sorry about my lol but you said try it and it didn't fail for me. Another thing is I checked all the properties and it changed it on the other PC. So I go looking,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....ts/shortcut.asp

If a user creates a shortcut to an object and the name or location of the object is later changed, the system automatically takes steps to update, or resolve, the shortcut the next time the user selects it.
We're talking very short time on today's faster computer's.

I see nothing in that about a pointer to a specific PC. Only the path.

I can see where network paths might not work cause I do know all about that from where I work.

I also know that I have several shortcuts in my Windows\Desktop folder in my Network Share and they do work when I logon somewhere else. Thats on NT and 2000 PCs we have at work. Most those point to other drives within the network, its not like I'm starting an app on the C: drive of my primary workstation

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 4 weeks later...