Here's some shell extensions...

@ Pedro56

ok, since its on xp my best guess is still th refresh routine. When it refreshes the window (and displays/hides the file extensions) it tries to use a hotkey combo. But I think what's happening is that another hotkey is in place which uses part or all of the same key combination. -- like I said, I'd love to doing the refresh in a more 'programmatic' way but using a key combo is the only way I've been able to find that actually WORKS. :w00t:

Anyway here's what you can try: open windows explorer exactly like you do when you experience the problem. Then try pressing Shift+F10. The right-click menu should pop-up exactly as if you had used the mouse. Next, with the menu still up, press 'e' (for Refresh) on the keyboard. If you get the same problem then there's some installed program that has stolen one of Microsoft's default hotkey combos. :o If it refreshes normally I'm not sure. My systems are both xp home w/ sp2 and try as i might it works fine on both... :}

Is anybody else able to recreate this issue? (system/conditions?)

Edited by spiritpyre

spiritpyre pal, can u tell how can i change the text from your HiddenFilesToggle extension ..i reshacked all my menus to make them smaller and this kinda makes the desktop menu a little to big so i would like to change it in " Toggle Hidden" or something similar or even shorter, Thanks again for all these great shell ext.

Edited by BlueMe

@spiritpyre

Thanks, the menus are different with Explorer Bar/Folders active. With Folders active the list is:

Open

Explore

Search

Sharing and security...

Netware Copy

Send to

Cut

Copy

Create Shortcut

Delete

Rename

Properties

Without Folders active:

View

Arrange Icons by >

Refresh

Paste

Paste Shortcut

File Extension Toggle

New

Properties

The context menu varies depending on whether My Documents, Folders or a Drive is selected but all have Search as one of the menu items rather than Refresh.

anyone know of something similar to 'folderbox' that enables explorer to display either dual panes or, better yet, tabs for different folders?

i'm not looking for a shell replacement, just a tweak or extension.

Anyone know where I can get an extension that will let me open a folder in a new window from the context menu?

You don't need an extension for doing this. Editing the registry is enough :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\New Window]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\New Window\Command]
@="explorer.exe %1"

That's for exploring folders as root from the context menu if anyone's interested :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\rootexplore]
@="&Root Explore"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\rootexplore\command]
@="Explorer.exe /e,/root,/idlist,%I"

@BlueMe

sorry, but atm its hard coded in (extensions all send the caption text to explorer when its requested). When/if I get the time, I *might* be able to add support for custom captions. shouldn't be too bad, but between school, work, and my other project time is somewhat on short supply. :} I'll try to work it in when i can tho.

@Pedro56

ok. I've checked this on 4 systems running xp home (sp2) and 1 system at school running xp pro (sp2) and every context menu I find has refresh (regardless of launching via Windows Explorer/My Computer) . So what I'm wondering is if what you found might be the result of another 3rd party software/ registry tweak / etc. installed on the system in question.

AFAIK, explorer does not have separate registry entries for its context menus launching from windows explorer vs. my computer/(any folder). anybody feel free to confirm this. Since my school has disabled search that may be that problem. But, I still don't see why not having it disabled would take away the refresh option. What you may be able to do is find and remove the registry entry that adds search to the context menu (don't forget to make BACKUPS first!) which may take some experimenting.

I can say though that having search instead of refresh is definately the reason that you're getting the problem, but without another way to refresh I can't do anything different. Hope you can get things working but I don't really think I can do much unless I find a new way of refreshing the system.

@Nighted

eidenk beat me to it. its a much much simpler solution to just add via registry.

@atomizer

not that i know of, but the tabs-in-explorer thing is a pretty cool idea.

@atomizer

not that i know of, but the tabs-in-explorer thing is a pretty cool idea.

problem is, i doubt that an extension can provide that, though i may be wrong. i may be looking at a shell replecement and, so far, i haven't found any i really like.

Man...i'm going crazy over this shell ext. i'm checking this post to frequently !

Edit :

Since i got bored and nothing to do, i might as well sugest something in case u ranned out of ideas of what shell ext. u can do and how to :D, i got a very good (i think) ideea... it would be great to have an toggle desktop icons (hide /unhide) shell ext. also, and maybe you could make some of them into one submenu ..i mean : it would look something like this ;

Arrange Icons By
Refresh
-
-
Toggle - Desktop Icons
- File Extension
- Hidden Files
New
Properties

Edited by BlueMe

Man...i'm going crazy over this shell ext. i'm checking this post to frequently !

See my first post in the thread (or click my sig). You can now change the captions for the File Ext Toggler & the Hidden Files Toggler to anything you want. I gave instructions in the first post, but basically you'll need to use regedit or a reg file to add your title like so:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Custom Caption for File Ext Toggler
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Custom ShExts\File Ext Toggler]
@="Ext's On/Off"

; Custom Caption for Hidden File Toggler
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Custom ShExts\Hidden File Toggler]
@="Hidden/Not"

enjoy :)

btw if anyone wants to repack the dll's and upload 'em here go ahead.

as for the separate menu thing, that's what I've been working on for awhile now. The main delay is that I need to be able to read and interpret text from text/ini files (and I plan on using the same code for at least 4 projects now). SO... basically I've been writing trying to build a class that's as versatile and flexible as notepad, but with less UI (in all but 1 project). So far my class supports ANSI, UTF-8, Unicode, & Unicode - Big Endian but I've been extending it like crazy. Before I finish it up though my goal is that it can run head-to-head or surpass Notepad on text files (regardless of encoding) of up to 32 MB in size... which I'm pretty close on that part (w/ current schedule.. few weeks hopefully) :w00t:

Edited by spiritpyre