Ghost 8 Network boot

Thinkster

I have used Symantec Ghost Boot wizard to create a Network boot disk, but unfortunately Symantec did not think this through very well as it only lets you make

floppy disks! So I created the boot disks and had to add the NDIS2 Driver for a Marvel Yukon NIC since it's not included in the choices within Ghost. So the floppy disks work fine, but I need to put this on a bootable CD, so that I don't have to use the Floppy's. The bootable CD should be the same as the floppys in that it loads the NIC driver and obtains an IP through DHCP. I've tried several different techniques to try to accomplish this, but no luck. Am wondering why Symantec only allows you to create floppy's as many new systems have no floppy drives!

I assume you want to make a DOS boot CD to boot to a Novell network or similar.

Create your BOOTABLE floppy as you want it to work.

In Nero and Roxio there is an option of creating a Bootable CD from a floppy, this is what you want. You only get 1.44 megs. If you have other files the floppy needs you need a generic SYS file in the Config.sys and Mscdex in the Autoexec.bat with a specific drive letter for the CD-ROM. You can load another 690 megs onto the CD section that can be referenced by a drive letter i.e. L: that the Autoexec.bat can call.

I use this method every day to create images on my Novell server. Logs me in and maps my drives. I use the old DOS Config.sys menu system to show 9 Nic's that I can use.

Takes some work to figure it all out, that's what makes it all fun. Use CDR/W's as you will screw up several times.

Hope this helps

:thumbup

I assume you want to make a DOS boot CD to boot to a Novell network or similar.

Create your BOOTABLE floppy as you want it to work.

In Nero and Roxio there is an option of creating a Bootable CD from a floppy, this is what you want.  You only get 1.44 megs

I use this method every day to create images on my Novell server. Logs me in and maps my drives.  I use the old DOS Config.sys menu system to show 9 Nic's that I can use.

Yes, I do want to make a Dos Boot CD, except it is not a Novell Network, It's a Microsoft Network (Windows 2000 Server). Also, when I make the floppies from Symantec Ghost 8 (Corporate), it requires (2) floppies. I would love to be a ble to have a choice of multiple NIC's, but right now my floppy has and NDIS driver for a Marvel Yukon card only as that is what is on most of the systems.

Do you have an example of your Config.sys or what I do if I need more then 1.44 MB?

• 4 weeks later...

You could try Virtual Floppy Disk under Win XP. You can mount it & then create a boot floppy from Ghost. It should get written to this virtual floppy. You can then simply save the image & use it as boot image under any cd burning software to get your bootable CD.

Guest betonfal

Norton Ghost 2003 boot CD

Removed. User Banned.

No more warnings for posting warez here at MSFN. You will be banned without notice.

Edited by xper