Service Pack for Windows ME

the_guy

About the OPKFIX.CAT file from Q271434. Remove it from the ME pack. that file requires ME's sytem file protection feature to be enabled in order for it to be registered and to have any effect. having that file installed [and SFP disabled] will not have any effect on ME [and will be worthless] unless SFP is on. plus most OEMs might have already have it pre-installed on many OEM versions of Windows ME (like with my HP Pavilion computer I got back in early 2001 with pre-installed Winme).

I'll try out alpha 2 as soon as I can. next alpha release should exclude the opkfix.cat file.

Edited by erpdude8

I'll try out alpha 2 as soon as I can. next alpha release should exclude the opkfix.cat file.

never mind. I'm not going to download MESP alpha 2 as eidenk said the pack crashed like the alpha 1 version.

and the link to get alpha 2 of the me pack is no longer working.

the_guy should check very carefully the stuff written in ALL the .INF files included in the ME sevice pack. there could be a problem or problems found in the .INF files and he should make the necessary corrections to any of the .inf files. that could also be the reason why the ME pack keeps on crashing.

and I should also suggest to the_guy to post the next release of the me pack to at least two sites, instead of one. if he also needs more ME fixes, get them from Petr as I recently sent most of the ones I have to him.

the ME fixes I sent to Petr have been sent from him to MDGx. see "New 98 FE + 98 SE + ME patches available" topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

the Q271434 opkfix.cat fix is for some OEM versions of ME only and does not apply to retail versions of ME.

The retail (upgrade & full) editions of Windows ME [ones that come from the ME product boxes] dont have the problem and the fix is worthless under those editions.

About the OPKFIX.CAT file from Q271434. Remove it from the ME pack. that file requires ME's sytem file protection feature to be enabled in order for it to be registered and to have any effect. having that file installed [and SFP disabled] will not have any effect on ME [and will be worthless] unless SFP is on. plus most OEMs might have already have it pre-installed on many OEM versions of Windows ME (like with my HP Pavilion computer I got back in early 2001 with pre-installed Winme).

furthermore, the opkfix.cat file actually requires WinME's SFP feature to be loaded at startup and left on. simply registering the opkfix.cat file with the SUCATREG.EXE file w/out SFP enabled wont properly register the .cat file. a good reason to leave out the Q271434 opkfix.cat fix.

a choice between the inclusion of either Q276602 pci.vxd 4.90.3004 fix or Q285882 pci.vxd 4.90.3003 fix. It's safe to include Q285882, which has no side effects. Q276602 for ME has a known problem documented in MS article 810447.

so far, the MESP has been a disappointment. it has long ways to go before an actual beta can be produced.

• 2 weeks later...

I have that bug in setupx.dll fixed. There is just 1 problem at this time. Some updates pop up on Windows Update after they install with this SP. I should have it released by the end of the day. I need to upload it.

The Windows Update thing I have no idea about, so please bear with me.

the_guy

This pack applies almost any update that's out there for Windows ME. There are some that are not included. We will have to request those off of Microsoft individually to get them.

This might be an answer to your question. It should give more stability to Windows ME.

the_guy

Edited by the_guy

I have just uploaded the a3 version to RapidUpload. I hope it is fast. Don't worry, I will also upload the file to fileforum and maybe even another site that someone might know about.

Needed hotfixes: 281921 (in process of getting, hope to get soon), 329128 (no longer available?)

Known issues: Windows Update detection. Some Updates still want to show up on WU even after this SP is installed. Some include: 287564 (MM), 812709 (Help & Support), 290700 (System Restore), 329414 (MDAC, might be fixed), 329048 (zipped folders), 311311 (old uPNP update), 811630 (HTML Help), another full HTML Help update, and that's all I can remember at this point. Please post any others.

The last option (unofficial updates) does not want to work. I hope to have this fixed ASAP.

Changelog:

-Added some updates since the release of a2

-Fixed setupx error

-Fixed QFECHECK errors (both in qfe.inf and in spupdate.inf)

-Added more registry entries for superseded updates that still pop up on WU (some are found, others aren't)

The download link on RapidUpload is http://www10.rapidupload.com/d.php?file=dl&filepath=6358]here.

the_guy

Known issues: Windows Update detection. Some Updates still want to show up on WU even after this SP is installed. Some include: 287564 (MM), 812709 (Help & Support), 290700 (System Restore), 329414 (MDAC, might be fixed), 329048 (zipped folders), 311311 (old uPNP update), 811630 (HTML Help), another full HTML Help update, and that's all I can remember at this point.

I'd use RegShot or InstallWatch to see what has changed after installing these updates.

(and of course, all changes are visible in INF files too)

Where is the problem?

Best Regards,

Some updates still show up in WU after I put the registry information in WUINFO.inf or SPUPDATE.inf.

Guys, should I include the 835732 files into the SP. I will probably take the files from 2000, unless the NT4 files are all newer than then ones included in ME. I would only put in files that are in the SESP.

the_guy

Edited by the_guy

Some updates still show up in WU after I put the registry information in WUINFO.inf or SPUPDATE.inf.

Guys, should I include the 835732 files into the SP. I will probably take the files from 2000, unless the NT4 files are all newer than then ones included in ME. I would only put in files that are in the SESP.

the_guy

NO, NO NO! Do NOT include files from 835732. may cause instabilities & crashes under ME. most of the files from the Win2k & NT4 versions of 835732 [except for msasn1.dll file] are not compatible with WinME.

and did you exclude opkfix.cat file from a3 of ME service pack?

Edited by erpdude8

This pack applies almost any update that's out there for Windows ME. There are some that are not included. We will have to request those off of Microsoft individually to get them.

This might be an answer to your question. It should give more stability to Windows ME.

the_guy

You can request some ME hotfixes either by sending email to the MS support email address or by phoning them at 1-800-936-4900 (and then press 3) and request the specified hotfix.

I know when I sent an email request for Q281921 for ME several months ago, it is only available for Japanese version of ME and no longer available for English editions of ME. Q329128 is no longer available as I was told via a email [you could try asking MS support for Q329128 by phone method instead of the email method].

Edited by erpdude8

NO, NO NO! Do NOT include files from 835732. may cause instabilities & crashes under ME. most of the files from the Win2k & NT4 versions of 835732 [except for msasn1.dll file] are not compatible with WinME.

What is the difference between 98 and ME causing that many files from NT4 version of 835732 fix can be used with Windows 98 (SE) and not with ME?

Petr

I have just uploaded the a3 version to RapidUpload. I hope it is fast. Don't worry, I will also upload the file to fileforum and maybe even another site that someone might know about.

Needed hotfixes: 281921 (in process of getting, hope to get soon), 329128 (no longer available?)

good choice to post the ME pack at the RapidUpload.com site. too bad the server does not support resuming interrupted downloads. oh well. I'll try to get the pack through my friend's DSL connection at his place instead of using the dialup connection at my place. or perhaps I can use my relative's Netzero dialup connection at her place since Netzero internet is faster than what I have.

I have confirmed that Q281921 is no longer available for English language editions of WinME and only available for Japanese language edition of WinME.

Edited by erpdude8