Goddies:

-I-

Oke, well maybe you guys have, any nice goodies, that will never make it to be part of the official build,

but you want to share them anyways, (dont forget to add install instructions)

Here is mine....

windows 2000 SP5 bootscreen:

ntoskrnlusp5b13res16yr.th.png

(wil add, a zipped resource later).

ntoskrnl_USP5b13_res1.7z

Edited by -I-

• 2 weeks later...

How about native linux filesystem support (ext 2 / 3 )

and reiserFS (if your not scared for pre-release versions.

It works just like any normal windows filesystem drivers, FAT / FAT32 and NTFS (but Installable File System)-drivers.

from now on your can share, linux volumens, with win NT/2K/XP

for example mount '/home/user1/desktop' as '%userprofile%\desktop'

or whate ever you like, - complete control.

Edited by -I-

That bootscreen is a bit... depressing, no offence though, its good, but needs colours !

Native Linux Filesystem Support, is well a uhh... a good idea, but its basically a non-windows thang :lol: For people who use it, will most likely install it themselves, probably about 5-10% of people use these extensions... You don't really want to bloat Windows with other filesystem support extentsions...

I feel like argueing today :lol::P

FS drivers

These filesystemdrivers are posted here because, they are good filesystems,

(not just for linux but now can also be used for windows),

Aspecially 'Reiser FS' - (wich for now still in beta), is actualy a better filesystem than NTFS -

Even though NTFS supports journaling

(the thing that prevents nt from crashing the disk after an unsafe shutdown (like window 98 did)), Reiser is, in most cases, concidered more stable, but also supports larger files, and is, in some cases, thought to be faster than NT.

(I posted it because may just wel be a feature that poeple, would want to try)

Bootscreen

True the bootscreen is all black-n-white, and isn't even what i would call amazing.

But im ablsolutely not the tipical 'phoposhop guy' :rofl: -

comment

I was just hoping people would respond and post some more goodies,

- sharing goodies little tweaks and modyfied files that should never become a part of the uSP but are a 'nice to have' so anyone who can build an (official) 'uSP5 windows-blinds theme', or a nice wallpaper, or whatever they think could be a nice complimenting goody - please post....

lets have some fun here people ;)

Edited by -I-

also 7z is also a nice zip program

change it to the windows 2k shell and put it in 5.1

and unlocker should be in it too it is one of the most useful programs ever

ps

did not see the link to the boot screen at the bottom sorry about that

even though i thought of it before and also posted about it a few months back,

i realy dont know of anyone who is capapble and willing to -

do such kind of work, - i am still looking for a programmer who has the skilles to download the 7z sourcecode and redesigne its shell,

but if you know someone, - or are that someone - id love to read about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

RELEASE NOTES (just an idea),

Gurgle id like you to check this link it shows self containing excutable test version of how id feel about stuf like release notes (for those who may have Nlited windows it would be a PRE...

LINK to example of wat it can create,

by the way the app witch created this seams to be some sort of no-nags shareware or something.

link to official website of the program HERE

Edited by -I-

Hi,

Yep - it does look nice. How does it look in 640x480x16 ? (I'm waiting for another server atm, so I cant just dl and test) But what should be in the documentation? I wont document which non-publicly available hotfixes are included - the answer will always be "all, unless otherwise proved".

I have considered a more useful autorun which pops up a box which helps to automate the most common tasks, such as "Welcome", "Install", "Integrate", "Browse",... etc.

About bootscreens, those are tough to make in color, because they are - as most of us know - 16 color .bmp images, however - unlike in Windows and all Windows applications - the 16 colors are not predefined in this particular 16-color bitmap but a 16 color palette is included instead. Some color indices are predefined - I think no 2 is the scroll-thingy at the bottom for example. Does anyone know an image editing tool which handles 16-color non-windows .bmp's?

File system support is a wonderful thing. I can't wait to test the ext2/3 driver (so it better work :lol:)

I won't include the bootscreens or extra non-ms file system drivers in the USP's. But it's fun to play with - wonder if NT can be made to boot from ext3.... nah :no:

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Most of those FS drivers(like Reiser) are read-only. It might be possible to boot from them, but you'd have to do something like install to FAT32 and then copy the whole partition under linux to get them onto the Reiser 4 partition. :D

last time I checked, was with Freiser FS 4 (and there were even though in beta creating write access for windows (witch by the way isn't that hard as all RF specs are open..

bootscreens were just to get poeple to do something better, am sorry though no mutch luck for an official sp5 bootscreen .....

for rest, 'm working long hours 6:30am to 8:30pm Mon/Fri and 07am to 03pm on sat for a few weaks so im quite buisy but will at leas keap up the reading...

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, i kinda had nothing to do for half an hour and whiped this up,

Gurgel, (do you remember about the html 2 exe converter i talked about.

i kinda created a cewl logo for the top of it.

its inspired on your own spnotes.html but with a toutch...

hope you like it...

usp5top6ap.png

thanks to imageshack.us

Edited by -I-