98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

I wonder, why is IE 5.5 SP2 being specified as a requirement, when (i) this isn't the starting point when you install from the W98SE CD-ROM and (ii) at least IE 5.01SP2 seems to be sufficient (not sure if "ie501dom" was also required, but I installed this just-in-case, so as to enable 128 bit encryption)?

Joe.

Because a lot of updated files require IE 5.5 or IE6.

And yes I did revise the page to specify IE versions so people who is running IE 5.01 would update their browser files.

I'm sorry you having trouble, but there is a simple solution, update IE to one or the other version.

Let me just clarify. The version of IE that comes with W98SE is 5.0, not 5.01 (version numbering for IE is confusing). Since the corresponding install error for the SP3 package disappeared after I installed IE5.01SP2, this suggests that's the minimum required version of IE (although I didn't try other iterations of IE5.01).

Gapes older version would install on a clean installation.

Yes, that had been my expectation for the current release of SP3. I suppose that is still the case for the alternative builds of SP3 which are intended for "non-IE" installations.

Joe.

Edited by jds

Whether its IE 5.0, 5.01 or 5.01SP2 if you want to install the Service Pack without errors you have to install one of the IE versions I listed above. Unless you are a 98lite user then theres no way around it.

Well, if you say so. However, I did install the SP3 without errors, with IE only at version 5.01SP2, as described previously :

Joe.

This bug in the Service Pack

BUG REPORT - If you run U98SESP3.EXE Main Updates more than once, you will have a folder named REPLMAN in

\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared, just delete it.

I fixed it :thumbup:w00t:

I will release a new update next week.

We are almost BUG FREE with the Service Pack.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

There's a question that hasn't been replied to, ever since the discussion in the other thread: how about usp10.dll v1.471.4030.0? Got it on my system for a long time and K-Meleon is using it. Has anyone else used it? Any issues?

I'm asking because I only see this switch between v1.422.3790.3959 and the apparently incompatible Vista version 1.626.6002.22402 - nothing inbetween. :unsure:

Can you send me this file so I can test it. Thanks

Another candidate for inclusion in the SP3 :

Joe.

Edit : Oops!!! I search this thread, but forgot to search : (which already includes the above)

Edited by jds

Sorry guys no more updates. When I asked for help I didn't get it so the hell with you. I'm out of here like MDGX and the rest of the gang.

With all due respect, which help didn't you get? I do think we've all been plenty helpful along the way, and all respect you and your project a lot. MDGx hasn't got himself any 9x/ME machine anymore, and yet he keeps trying to keep things up to date. He's far from gone. Tihiy and Xeno86 also remain around, although both come here less than in the past. Most others remain here, too. In my reckoning, only Petr gave up on 9x/ME for good. And he's a great loss.

That said, of course I cannot prevent you from going away, if you so wish. But let me ask you: away whither?

Together we've got here, and remain strong... scattered, IMO, the community will wither. :(