98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

My thing is, I 'm willing to compromise.

Yeah, I can see that.

I have giving you 11 months of updates, so whats your point?

Since you have clearly forgotten, apart from wasting my time testing PTP/MTP drivers for you, rloew's 'io.sys' fix in the SP stems from my investigation of LBA bugs in the MS version and tihiy's patched 'secur32.dll' in the SP is due to my investigation of the missing 128 bit version of this DLL.

He could have said something 7 months ago when they were first added.

USB 2.0 NOTICE - Unplug all USB devices. Install main updates.

It means that I need install all components of SP3 except USB component?

No what it means is that USB install as a part of main updates.

After installation of main updates follow the instructions in the USB 2.0 notice.

I presume that if I'm happy with my current USB drivers, I can simply leave them installed and the SP3 won't affect their operation? In other words, if I choose to uninstall my existing USB drivers, then NUSB will take over, otherwise NUSB will only affect new USB devices?

I made a perfectly reasonable request, which did not deserve your torrent of abuse. I have nothing more to say to you. Ciao.

Joe.

I made a perfectly reasonable request, which did not deserve your torrent of abuse. I have nothing more to say to you. Ciao.

Joe.

I'm going to bed right now, but you need to believe I will be at your head later.

Thank you for using SP3.x :realmad::angry::realmad::angry::realmad::angry:

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Since you have clearly forgotten, apart from wasting my time testing PTP/MTP drivers for you, rloew's 'io.sys' fix in the SP stems from my investigation of LBA bugs in the MS version and tihiy's patched 'secur32.dll' in the SP is due to my investigation of the missing 128 bit version of this DLL.

Not quite. My IO.SYS fix resolved a problem that I discovered and fixed with an earlier Patch long before your investigation. The current Patch fixes both.

Not quite. My IO.SYS fix resolved a problem that I discovered and fixed with an earlier Patch long before your investigation. The current Patch fixes both.

Really? Perhaps you've forgotten our little debate over the merits of Steven Saunderson's patches a few years back, in which (as I recall), you initially said these were only needed on NT systems. At that time, I had already found two of his patches to be required, whereas one was detrimental. Anyway, your current patch is the best because it also addresses another issue (and our collective thanks to you for it!).

Joe.

Edited by jds

You want the spotlight, you just got it Mr. First of all, you are NOT the only one who has contribute to SP, so why do you feel the need to get special treatment? I told people if they wanted customize packages then donate $ 5.00 to the forum. But no....... You want to b***h and whine about SP. You have had many options to choose from but you didn't, now deal with it. Name one place in the world where you can go and get anything customized without a fee. Why you're so busy trying to point out what you did, you need to focus on SP 3.7. There will be no cheese with your whine. Sayonara :w00t:

P.S

jds, you are banned from using SP3.x, delete it off your system immediately and never download it ever again. Ciao

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Really? Perhaps you've forgotten our little debate over the merits of Steven Saunderson's patches a few years back, in which (as I recall), you initially said these were only needed on NT systems. At that time, I had already found two of his patches to be required, whereas one was detrimental. Anyway, your current patch is the best because it also addresses another issue (and our collective thanks to you for it!).

Joe.

That other issue is the one I am referring to. The discussion about the Saunderson Patches came later. I extended the concept I had developed originally to come up with a single Patch for all of these issues.

Please, let the matter rest.

+1

This business is not helpful to anyone or the community as a whole. We have precious few enough members as it is, there is no point to this argument. :angry:

I see both sides of this, and I think it's a shining example of why I don't like and don't use unofficial Service Packs. What some people want and find important others do not want at all, and vice versa.

I believe, as PROBLEMCHYLD does, that NUSB should be considered a "main update" and I would prefer that to having a myriad of different drivers for the same types of devices. However, that's just my opinion and I also sympathize with jds at the inclusion of something unwanted. There is no perfect solution.

@PROBLEMCHYLD

Accept that people are going to complain and criticize your decisions. You opened yourself up to this when you took over the project. Be careful when you ask others for input, because if you get input that you don't like, then you're not going to be happy and your users aren't going to be happy when you choose not to take their suggestions.

@jds

Accept that PROBLEMCHYLD has no desire to modify his package the way you want it. If you want to use it, then delete the USB2 and USB Storage files after installing it. I have not looked into the packages but you should also be able to build a custom version of the installer with IEXPRESS or use ResHacker to edit the .CAB inside the installer and remove the files & INF references you don't want.

Hear hear!

This is PROBLEMCHYLD's project, and I would hope that we're all very grateful for what he has done and continues to do with it.

As it is his project, at the end of the day what he says goes.

People are quite entitled to make suggestions, even to criticise if they think that mistakes have been made, but ultimately PROBLEMCHYLD has the last word, whether you agree or not.

:)

Thanks dencorso, LoneCrusader, Dave-H for shedding some positive input on this topic.

Here is my thing, I don't have a problem with users input, my problem is when its only one person that wants something changed.

This is why I fixed the icon issue because it was multiple complaints, not just one. If more people want it changed then I will consider it. One person is not going to do it. It was a hell of a challenge to add USB drivers and to just take them out, move them around aint easy. I apologize to the others members for my rants and ignorance. I think the key thing is, if you don't like it, don't use it. BOTTOM LINE.

Another example of why the present USB procedure may not be suitable - on one machine, I use a Sony digital camera which, although it seems to use the USB Mass Storage class (not that horrid PTP/MTP stuff), only works with the Sony drivers, not generic ones. If I were to follow the SP procedure and delete the Sony driver and install NUSB in its place, I would no longer be able to access the camera. So why should I be forced to install something if it's just going to break my system?

The instructions for U98SESP3 tell you to remove the Drivers using Device Manager. This clears them from the Registry. This is needed because the underlying USB Controller Drivers are being replaced and different Registry entries may be needed to connect the layers. The Pre-existing Driver Files and INF Files are still present, unless you delete them too.

Since an INF with a specific Device reference (VID/PID) takes precedence over a Generic Device reference, your previous Drivers should still be used if they specify Devices explicitly. The Generic Mass Storage Drivers would not be used, only the updated USB Controller Drivers.

I would assume your Sony Camera Driver would still be used and should still work.

If you are building or rebuilding a new System, it may be necessary to pre-install any USB Device that needs special Drivers, such as your camera, remove the Drivers with Device Manager and then install U98SESP3. Alternatively you can do a forced install after.

Since an INF with a specific Device reference (VID/PID) takes precedence over a Generic Device reference, your previous Drivers should still be used if they specify Devices explicitly. The Generic Mass Storage Drivers would not be used, only the updated USB Controller Drivers.

I would assume your Sony Camera Driver would still be used and should still work.

Thank you for the tip, Mr Loew.

I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Joe.

The instructions for U98SESP3 tell you to remove the Drivers using Device Manager. This clears them from the Registry. This is needed because the underlying USB Controller Drivers are being replaced and different Registry entries may be needed to connect the layers. The Pre-existing Driver Files and INF Files are still present, unless you delete them too.

If you are building or rebuilding a new System, it may be necessary to pre-install any USB Device that needs special Drivers, such as your camera, remove the Drivers with Device Manager and then install U98SESP3. Alternatively you can do a forced install after.

Thanks rloew :thumbup Instructions also states that if no new USB drivers or USB files have been added, the procedure only needs to be done once. Hopefully this will help others in the future. At the same time, its a waste of time because if they don't follow them on the homepage, they aren't going to follow them on the forum. At some point, I find a lot of us constantly repeating ourselves for nothing. Thanks again :thumbup

Thanks rloew :thumbup Instructions also states that if no new USB drivers or USB files have been added, the procedure only needs to be done once. Hopefully this will help others in the future. At the same time, its a waste of time because if they don't follow them on the homepage, they aren't going to follow them on the forum. At some point, I find a lot of us constantly repeating ourselves for nothing. Thanks again :thumbup

I'm not sure about having the instructions only on the homepage. It is usually a good idea to have at least a README file if not an Information Dialog. I extracted your package looking for the instructions having already downloaded it. I didn't find the instructions. Remembering that there was a significant amount of info on the homepage, I went back there to get the instructions.

I would recommend reconsidering your position if incompatabilities are found between Device specific Drivers and the underlying USB Controller Drivers, or if the Generic Mass Storage INF overrides a needed Driver, but that has not happened so far.