TClock3 beta available for the bave...but need hosting

WildBill

My new 0.1.5 version is now posted here:

This has much better support for TGA images that use transparency.

Here is a current screenshot I just took on my laptop: it's running Win2k SP4, with XPize 4.0 installed, and using the Vista 1.4 WB skin found on joejoe's site.

post-68113-1141696790_thumb.jpg

I'm experiencing some sort of glitch with this where it doesn't attach itself to the taskbar when refreshed. I'm not sure why, but it might have something to do with having nLited my comp?

tClock2 and tClockLite don't do it though, so...did you make any changes to how it interfaces with explorer? :huh:

With the previous version it didn't auto-refresh, so I could start it up, apply settings, then start it up again to see the results. Oh, and every time it refreshes the taskbar, the process becomes "dead" and stops doing stuff(except using 6mb memory). I managed to get about 10 of them before I noticed and killed all the dead ones. :D

I haven't changed how it interfaces with Explorer...I simply changed some rendering code and the .TGA loader. You definitely don't want to try running it multiple times: it's not designed for that and it's always crashed whenever I inadvertently did that. I tried it on a PC that has Gurgelmeyer's USP 5.1 nLited with W2k, and it works fine.

Hi WildBill,

Not a glitch with this new version. Nice :thumbup

And the Vista 1.4 is a good looking skin.

But I still don't know how to skin the clock. Could you post your .bmp or .tga for the clock and settings in

TClock3 Properties?

Cool, thanks. I am going to leave it on the laptop from now on... looks not so the same anymore. :D

S.

post-81494-1141859188_thumb.jpg

Edited by Squeeto

You're almost there :lol:

Under Tray/Clock Fill, set it to "skin tray". It doesn't matter what image you choose (just choose a small .bmp file like a quicklaunch button bmp), since the Full Skinning settings will override it. Then, under Full Skinning -> Clock:

- set SkinSource to QuickLaunch

- set the frame to 1

- set the alpha number to the same number that you use for the whole taskbar (e.g. 160 for mine)

- set the alpha blending to Alpha if the QuickLaunch image is a .TGA and to MagicPink if it's a .BMP that uses magic pink

- set both the tray extra top and tray extra bottom values to 2 (makes the tray bigger by 2 pixels above and below to put it on the same footing as the quicklaunch and task buttons).

The first frame in the quicklaunch image is always empty, so when you choose frame #1 it leaves it blank and just paints the taskbar image. Once you get to this point, try playing with the frame number (1 through 6) to see what the other QuickLaunch frames look like under the tray.

To make the taskbar resizer "disappear", go to Full Skinning -> Taskbar and lower the alpha of the sizing bar (mine is set to 8). It's still there, but it doesn't appear. I eventually want to figure out a way to do away with it entirely if desired.

Edited by WildBill

Try setting the sizing margins to 4, 14, 4, 15 for left, top, right, and bottom, respectively. Do this for all of the full skinning tabs as well as the tray/clock fill tab. Where did you get the skin? It looks like your files are different from mine (for instance, my quicklaunch file is a .tga, and all of my files start with "48px"). If I can get yor skin files I can test it to see what's going on. I have my taskbar alpha set to 160, as well as for my clock setting (though that shouldn't matter).

On the taskbar page (not the full skinning one), make sure everything is set to "normal" and that everything is unchecked. I doubt it matters, but it's what I have. We'll get it -- there's a trick to getting the clock to paint, but we'll get there.

no :no:

Did you get the sizing bar to go transparent also? Something that I also can't do.

Can I help? Maybe it is just my system, too bad. A few more people to try it out will help to know.

So what is next for TClock3... 4 maybe? ;)

You are stepping into the fringe of Start Menu modification with the availability of Transparency so you ever thought to add in custom bitmap mods for start menu items? Just a thought :whistle:

Actually, the Start Menu Transparency is a little buggy. Sometimes it looks like a refresh was missed and one menu writes over another.

Hey, thanks for the app and the help. Sure do like the look of the desktop these days.

S

I haven't done anything with the Start Menu, though it's always a possibility that I didn't port something right. The only way to check is to see if TClock2 does the same thing with transparent start menus. I've thought about skinning the start menu (and I might try it someday), but I want to get the taskbar really nailed down first.

If I lower the alpha of the sizing bar to something like 8 in Full Skinning -> Taskbar -> Sizing bar -> Alpha, it fades away (as long as Full Skinning -> General -> Enable different alpha... is checked).

For the clock, it's critical that Misc -> Do not customize clock is UNchecked or it won't be skinned.

One thing you could try that might help is post a screenshot of the registry areas under My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TClock2. Then I can compare it with mine and look for differences.

If I lower the alpha of the sizing bar to something like 8 in Full Skinning -> Taskbar -> Sizing bar -> Alpha, it fades away (as long as Full Skinning -> General -> Enable different alpha... is checked).

Yes, that worked :thumbup Transparent sizing bar.

There must be a better way to send you registry listings but I think that this is the area of concern (attached).

I would like to send you some business. I think that this is a viable, useful (open source) addition to the Windows desktop and there are a few people over with the HFSLIP community that are always looking for new apps.

These folk are working on a project similar to nLite but slipstreams the reductions directly out of the source. If you look at my previous desktop jpgs you will see no Windows Explorer icon. This is also part of the project.

I am never sure about cross posting but these guys are adventurous.

post-81494-1142362946_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those settings look okay to me. It's not skinning your clock at all, so let's take a look at the TClock2/Clock registry area and the TClock2/Format area, if you don't mind. It's probably some stupid setting that we're missing, but we should get there eventually. Also, what OS are you trying this on? I've only tested this on Win2k Pro, but I recall that the clock area was structured differently in some other versions of Windows (like Win98 I think).