What Not To Remove For Some Programs

mraeryceos

I don't believe it is possible to remove USB support with nLite (yet), so go ahead and strip everything away. This is more or less what I am doing, and still enjoy the functionality of my USB mouse.

Take care,

James

x

• 1 month later...
Adobe Acrobat Writer

Requires: SNMP, System Restore, Printer support

Error: Unable to create PDF converter and Printer ("modules not found")

- The entry for Adobe Acrobat Writer is wrong...it definitely does not depend on System Restore but on COM+ which System Restore depends on as well.

I disagree... using xp sp1 (jdeboeck customized), where SNMP is not present as a service, with COM+ started, and several normal printers installed and working, installation of Adobe Acrobat 5 did not install the pdf printer drivers. It didn't even give any errors. Jaws PDF Creator gave all kinds of error messages.

update: After right-click install of the system restore service inf file (component as removed by jdeboeck), I was able to install the pdf printer drivers. I guess this would also apply to fax printer drivers.

Edited by mraeryceos

so using nlite it is possible to place an exception list of dlls and other files not to delete? even if we check off to remove a specific functionality?? how and where do we do this? so basically, i could incorporate all of bold fortune's exceptions into nlite and it would not delete them?

Edited by ToasterMax

mraeryceos, so to confirm, if one wishes to install a PDF printer such as the opensource PDFcreator, we need to keep system restore service only?

Cheers,

James

x

I think that is correct, but I am not using nLite. I am using JdeBoeck's method for taking out components. His site is gone, AFAIK.

Something else I have not removed is Windows Management Instrumentation, but I have done this for other reasons previously, not for the purpose of obtaining printer driver functionality. I should also note that I have the file framedyn.dll copied over via $OEM$, but again, I don't know if it makes a difference or not. Someone would have to try without it.

An aside... someone before mentioned starting a WIKI. I disagreed at first, but now I think it would be a good idea... I could just post a link to it on the first post, so the WIKI web address would be known to all. My objection to the WIKI was that it wouldn't be here at MSFN, but with the link FROM MSFN... well let's just say that sometimes I need to have the obvious shown to me.

Hi,

fo you have any idea what file's missing if i cant play macromedia flash file? actually it is not that i cant play the whole file but the sound is missing, so if let say im accessing one of youtube video, the video will play well but there will be no sound at all...

Cheers

I'm not a big multimedia buff, but "windows media lite" might help:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_other.htm

If you have nlited, or otherwise removed all traces of players and codecs, you can also rebuild with:

k-lite codec package (standard)

real alternative

quicktime alternative

If you have not nlited, or not removed all traces of players and codecs, adding additional codecs on top of existing codecs is not a good idea, so this will likely help you only if you are in this game.

Edited by mraeryceos

mraeryceos, so to confirm, if one wishes to install a PDF printer such as the opensource PDFcreator, we need to keep system restore service only?

Cheers,

James

x

actually you can remove system restore service, and PDFCreator (Version 0.92-0.93) still keep working without any problems, at least it works for me.

actually you can remove system restore service, and PDFCreator (Version 0.92-0.93) still keep working without any problems, at least it works for me.

Have you tried with other printer drivers?

There have been many threads whose conclusion is that Adobe Acrobat pdf printer driver depends on system restore. Are you saying that you remove system restore AFTER installing PDFCreator?

Cheers,

James

x

I'd swear I also used PDF printers with that service removed. :whistle:

Gonna re-use a VM soon.

Have you tried with other printer drivers?

There have been many threads whose conclusion is that Adobe Acrobat pdf printer driver depends on system restore. Are you saying that you remove system restore AFTER installing PDFCreator?

I never tried with real printers, but for virtual printer, they work totally fine without restore serveice, even Adobe Acrobat Printer. Here is my thought: i used to install a acrobat 5.0 pdf virtual printer on my OS, which was modified by a ealier version of nlite to remove restore service, and the printer did NOT work, also any other virtual printer like FreePDF XP and PDFCreator. So i guess it is only a little dependency mistake appeared in the ealier version of nlite and i don't know why there are still so many threads talking about not removing restore service to keep virtual printer working, they are wrong.

btw, i of course remove restore service BEFORE install PDFCreator, otherwise it's a issue of how to use XPlite :D

And, If by some unknown factor, The file SFC_OD.DLL is missing... Where would I find it?

I had to reformat because someone who used my computer download a bunch of crap and filled the pc with spyware and a few viruses. Upon it coming back up Somewhere, the file SFC_OD.DLL was deleted seicne im getting the error messages.

Id Just like to know where I could find a way to repair whatevers missing.