System restore in win 98

AlmondScar

Heya

My mate has a serious problem with her windows 98. and its an american comp i think. its just not right. you cant change the screen sizes, the color resulution, the harddrive only has 693 mb left, and the capacity is 900 mb. we're trying to do a system restore. i think she had a virus that left but done some damage.it was her grandads and he had the internet on it but with no virus scan. :)

any ideas?

if anyone needs more specific deatails just ask!

There is software by thirdpary companys such as adaptec's errr Roxios...errr now finally Symantec's Go back hehe. Anywho heres a link

GoBack

But clearing out a virus is not a feature of this software, or any recovory app.

I reccomend getting norton of one of the major weekly updated virus scaners.

The only thing is the computer doesnt have the internet now, she's getting a new one at chistmas, but if she wants a computer from now to then its needs fixed, and quick.

aaron, how do i reinstall win 98? is there any quick links i could check out to tell me? :)

Restart the PC, go into the BIOS from the POST screen (the black screen where it does the memory check), usually its the DEL key that gets you into the BIOS. Go to the Boot Options and select CDROM as first boot device.

Put in your Windows 98 CD, and install onto the same hard drive. The programs and settings you left it as should still exist on Windows 98 (learning from past experience)

You may try looking either in the root of C: or in C:\Windows for a folder WIN98. From there you can run setup again. OR you can boot to a dos prompt.. goto C:\windows\options\cabs\setup.exe and install from there. What I would suggest before you do that .. is that you locate the product id from the registry first. Technically, since you are reinstalling over itself.. you should not be asked for it but you may be.

try this link... http://www.dougknox.com/ go to Utilities. there is a link to dowload a vb script... Find Product CD Key Win9x-ME.

Should get you going with all the tools. I would then jot that info down and slap it inside the case of the machine you are workin on.. so you know its there when you mate feels the need to reinstall 98 again.

Cheers.

CB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

She chucked it out :D

And got XP.

but the dippy gave me a floppy disc, saying she only used in it her new XP comp, so, i put the disc in, go to a, and all the files from her win 98 are there :/

so, the same thing happened to my compy :)

fixed now anyway

thankies for your help :rolleyes:

i dont know why but why dont peeple use norton ghost more often or another backup program for 1 pc i got 3 different ghosts 1 clean install of windows xp 1 image of windows xp with lots of other tools and a image of windows 98

that way if i need a fresh install orso i use ghjost and i dont have any problems ...