UAA on Dell 380 PW.

diveboy

Someone please shoot me.

We just got a batch of Dell 380's in, trying to integrate them in our build and getting screwed over by the UAA hotfix / sound drivers.

the story so far,

1. Install XP

2. Unknown PCI device listed in device manager

3. install KB888111 and reboot

4. have to manually update the driver on the device for it to detect

5. then install the sound card driver

if I install the intel chipset drivers first, I end up with the device becoming a floppy disk drive (very handy for playing mp3's).

I don't have much of a clue of using devcon, so hoping you guys can point me as to how to remove the device after step 3 and then install it with devcon pointing to the drivers required ?

this is the hardware device id PCI\VEN_8086&DEV23D8&SUBSYS_01A81028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&D8

when I do a devcon remove PCI\VEN_8086&DEV23D8&SUBSYS_01A81028&REV_01\3&172E68DD&0&D8 it thinks I'm specifying multiple devices, and splits it up using the '&', how can I use that whole string with devcon ? if I let it just use "PCI\VEN_8086" it removes alot of system devices (drive controller, system clock).

Thanks in advance.

Michael.

ok, got everything going

to use that long hardware id, you need to use a ^ in front of a &.

the only problem left is the "Found New Hardware" wizard, is there anyway to silence this ? (it knows where to find the drivers already).

or am I best to auto it ?

what is the wizard finding?

im also working this on a HP, but i just integrated the "common files" from 888111 into my xp cd, im adding audio drivers via winnt.sif and everything is good, except i alsp keep getting that wizard, but mine is for a plug n play moniter, which just uses the xp driver

it's finding the sound card, just need to automate the wizard, going to knock up an autoit script to do it, don't know why you can't do it silent, since it knows where to find everything, it just wants some lovin from a human I guess.

forgot to post it. should work as long as you it already knows where to find the drivers (use setupcopyoeminf.exe). Autoit 3.

;
; Found New Hardware wizard automation
;
; will accept the new hardware wizard screen and fudge pass it.
;

WinWait("Found New Hardware Wizard")
WinActivate("Found New Hardware Wizard")

Send("{TAB} {Down} {Down} {Tab} {ENTER}")
Sleep(5000)
Send("{Enter}")
WinWaitClose("Found New Hardware Wizard")
; Finished!