New Hardrive Recognized But!

Krakatu

Hello To All At MFSN .

I Hope This In The Right section Of The Forum.

I Have A Maxtor 120 GB Hard Drive And Is Getting A Bit Full Now, So I Have Got A New Samsung 300GB Hard Drive And Put It In ETC, Everything Worked Fine Although The Samsung Only Read At Being 127 GB ( Even Though its 300GB ) Anyhow I Transferred Over A Few Gigobytes Of Files To The New Samsung Hardrive And Was Running smoothly. What I Am Using The Samsung For Is A Storage For My Files. But The Other day Xp Started As Usual And Took A Long Time To Load As Normal, And Then Came Up With A BSOD Message To Which I Could Not Read As It Went By Quite Fast, So It Rebooted And Came Up With Start In Safe Mode Last Known Configuration, Start Windows Normally ETC, What I Am Trying To Do Is To Get Back My Files I Have Put On This Hard Disk, Or Hopefully Someone Can Help Me On This Issue.

Many Thanks. :(

Yes, Service Pack 2 Is Already Installed On My Maxtor Hardrive Which Is My Drive With WinXP On. The Samsung Hardrive Has No Windows OS On It, Just Used For Storage.

It Read It At First When I put The Samsung In At First, But Then All Of A Sudden It Comes Up With The Boot Up Screen Saying Master Maxtor, Samsung Slave, Secondary Master None, Secondary Slave Nec DVd writer.

After It Go's Through That, You See The Windows XP Logo Screen With The Flashing Bits, And Then It Stays There For About 2 Mins And When It Go's To Next Screen It Very quickly Comes Up With BSOD Screen. And Then Reboots.

Any Help Please!!!

:(

Edited by Krakatu

LLXX,

Thanks For Your answer On This But I Did Format The Harddrive First Because I Am Using It For Storage !!!

and I Put My Files On It Quite a Few Gigobytes Worth.

Will It Help If I Show You My Standard CMos Settings And Advanced cmos settings.

standard cmos settings are as follows

IDE Primary Master -------- Maxtor 6Y12OLO

IDE Primary Slave --------- Samsung HD300LD

IDE Secondary Master ---- Nec_DVD_RW ND 1300A

IDE Secondary Slave ------ None

Drive A ---------------------- 1.44, 3.5 In

Drive B ---------------------- None

Floppy 3 Mode Support ---- Disabled

Video ------------------------ EGA/VGA

Halt On ----------------------- All, But Keyboard

Base Memory ---------------- 640K

Extended Memory ---------- 523264K

Total Memory --------------- 524288K

Advanced Bios Settings

Virus Warning ---------------- Disabled

CPU Internal Cache --------- Enabled

External Cache ------------- Enabled

Quick Power On Self test -- Enabled

First Boot Device ------------- Cd/Rom

Second Boot Device ---------- HDD-0

Third Boot Device ------------- LS12O

Boot Other Device ------------ Enabled

Swap Floppy Drive ------------ Disabled

Boot Up Floppy Seek --------- Enabled

Boot Up NumLock Status ----- Enabled

Gate A20 Option --------------- Fast

Security Option ---------------- Setup

Apic Mode --------------------- Enabled

MPS Version Control For OS -- 1.4

HDD Smart Capability --------- Disabled

Full Screen Logo Show --------- Enabled

Small Logo ( EPA ) Show ------- Enabled

Don't Know If This Will Help, But If You Want To Know Any Other Settings That Might Be Of Help To Me Please Let Me Know So I Can Try To Fix This Error

Many Thanks For Any Of Your Replies :(

Everything Worked Fine Although The Samsung Only Read At Being 127 GB ( Even Though its 300GB )

This should have been your first warning. Your bios definitely does not support 48 bit lba access. You do have a simple solution though.

Get hold of an external USB casing for your hard disk. Make sure it is set as master. All partitions & files will be visible.

Everything Worked Fine Although The Samsung Only Read At Being 127 GB ( Even Though its 300GB )

This should have been your first warning. Your bios definitely does not support 48 bit lba access. You do have a simple solution though.

Get hold of an external USB casing for your hard disk. Make sure it is set as master. All partitions & files will be visible.

Make sure the case does support 48-bit LBA - there's a thread in the hardware section of someone who has 48-bit LBA support in his machine's BIOS, but not in the external case.