Has anyone had this?

KMFM$

So, a new employee needed to have a local port mapped to a network printer. For everyone else's system, during the initial install, I used:

net use lpt1 \\computer\printer /persistent:yes

No problems there.

So now I come to find out that someone changed the port in the program, unknowingly (so he says). Anyway, after this change they changed the port of the printers. Now, I fear that when ran the net use command I overwrote the printer port configuration. Now, when trying to access the default printer (which would have been overwritten by the net use command), all I receive are streams of "Local Downlevel Documents" in the queue. Now no one can print from the default printer. I am assuming that there are jobs sent from out on the network that are causing this error, but I really have no clue. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW- running net use lpt1 \\computer\printer /persistent:YES for the default has no effect locally or across the network. I have also closed all sessions then reinstalled the printer with updated drivers to no avail. :( I am afraid that the more I try the deeper the hole gets.

Edited by KMFM$

So the printer is connected to a machine using it over LPT, and now you're sharing the printer over the network and trying to make it accessible to everyone else? Why not just make it a nework printer (if it is capable)? That way you solve your issue. Just add it into the network and map it to the hostname or IP_x.x.x.x and reinstall to all machines on the network.

Edited by ringfinger

Well, it is a network printer, sort of. The printer (device) is connected to a machine (A) and there are other clients that access it (B ). Then there is a program which multiple people use ©. So the print device is connected to (A), which is where it is being shared from, on LPT1 on that machine. Other systems have devices on LPT1 so by using "NET USE LPT1 \\COMPUTER\PRINTER" is out of the question. Unfortunately, the program cannot use an IP address for the print device. The only options are COM1, COM2, LPT1, and LPT2 (VERY limited program, I know). So, for the clients (B ) to properly access the shared printer off of the host machine (A), I had

NET USE LPT2 \\COMPUTER\PRINTER /PERSISTENT:YES

, which would send the print job to the properly configured LPT2 port for the appropriate print device. Again, other machines have different COMs and LPT1 port(s) in use, so I couldn't think of another way.

One error I was receiving, though, was the "Local Downlevel Document" job sporadically loading and unloading in the device print queue. Therefore, I am thinking that this was from someone sending a job to the printer while the printer was still configuring itself. I am going to NET USE LPT1 /DELETE and reinstall the printer on the host machine and see if that helps the situation.