Double negative terms confusing me on Options screen

drewkaree

I'm probably having major brain farts, but looking at these options, there's WAY too many double-negatives or just flat out items that I'm just not sure which way I should go to enable or disable the option in the fashion I want.

"Clean MUI Languages support entries".

Does "enabled" remove them?

"Press Any Key boot message"

Does "enabled" make the message continue to show when the disc is in the drive?

"HDD free space requirement"

Does "enabled" allow installation on hard drives with less space than the required free space? Same question on the max memory option.

Under "Setup look", the black option references the classic setup. Does that negate the classic option, or what exactly is going on there?

Sorry if I'm sounding snotty, I've just been trying to research everything I've been considering removing as I go along, and I'm just up against a wall in trying to figure these items out. Like I said, prolly just a case of the brain farts, but the phrasing of these items are super confusing to me right now. Any help at all is greatly appreciated

from what I remember,

"Clean MUI Languages support entries".

Does "enabled" remove them? YES

"Press Any Key boot message"

Does "enabled" make the message continue to show when the disc is in the drive? YES

"HDD free space requirement"

Does "enabled" allow installation on hard drives with less space than the required free space? Same question on the max memory option. NO, "disabled" does ("required by MS", not required by the actual install)

Under "Setup look", the black option references the classic setup. Does that negate the classic option, or what exactly is going on there? It sets a black screen as wallpaper during the install only, I don't think it changes anything to your XP once installed.

Edited by Ponch

Yes, they are VERY STUPID questions on nlite pages where you can't tell which choice does what!!!!

Not saying they're stupid (and can't rightly tell if you're goofing on me :D ), just that after sorting through so much info, it's hard to process them in the way that they are written. I know English isn't everyone's native language either (although it is my native tongue), so perhaps that may also have something to do with how it reads.

I know the Patch menu's are also just as confusing after reading the SFC instructions and whatnot.

I'm wondering if these items are written the way they are so they translate better for ALL languages, not just English?

Some suggestions, and some more questions. First, the suggestions:

On the Options screen, General tab, under Languages, perhaps change the options from "enabled" & "disabled" to "keep" & "remove", but specifically, "Clean MUI Languages support entries" - to me, this would read better as the following: "Remove MUI Languages support entries"

The same situation applies for "Press Any Key boot message". It reads better (to me) to state "Remove Press Any Key boot message" so a person would know that enabling this option would remove that message, disabling this option would keep it there (or again, change the option to "keep" & "remove")

Under Requirements, "HDD free space requirement" would read better (to me) as the following "Remove HDD free space requirement message". "Minimum memory requirement" also would read better as the following: "Remove minimum memory requirement message"

Moving to the Options screen, PATCHES tab:

Under "Unsigned Themes Support (Uxtheme Patch)", lay out what "enable" and "disable" actually accomplish in the description. As an aexample, the description would read better as "To use any MS Visual Style downloaded from the net (including unsigned themes), enable this. Disabling this may cause problems with certain downloaded MS Visual Styles, whether signed or not. Right now, using "enable" in the description is redundant - but ONLY if I'm reading it correctly, and not as descriptive as it could be.

SFC (Windows File Protection) DEFINITELY has problems with people not understanding it. A search for this turned up several confused folks and not understanding why it is (or isn't) working on their setup. Removing the double negative caused by the description should clear this up, IMO. It would read easier (to me) if it were something more like this: "Enable this option to ________ SFC during and after your installation. Disable this option to _______ SFC during and after your installation. If this option is enabled/disabled, Windows will automatically recover a replaced or deleted system file or folder."

I state that these read better (to me) because I've noticed that the options that are clear use terms that are specific in their usage. For instance, "Remove duplicate files", "Keep code pages of removed languages", "Save a copy of your current config" all read as if enabling or disabling these options definitely enact the desired changes.

Just a consistency point, but something that seems like it'd clear up slight confusions.

Now for the question:

SFC (Windows File Protection) is confusing due to the double negative in the description. Does enabling this option disable SFC during installation? I need SFC to be turned off during installation, so I need to know the proper choice for this option.

In the suggestion above for SFC, you'll notice the blanks and the red text - whichever option belongs in the proper area, I have no idea, that's why they're missing (or both added, since I'm not sure which is correct)

Edited by drewkaree

SFC (Windows File Protection) is confusing due to the double negative in the description. Does enabling this option disable SFC during installation? I need SFC to be turned off during installation, so I need to know the proper choice for this option.

... no. enable means enable. Also there is only one option, so disabled during install also means disabled after install.

I also edited my first post about HDD requirement, as just reading it was making no sense to me. There's nothing stupid about them texts, maybe they've been modified along with countless nLite versions and not always for the best comprehension. But thank God, it still looks pretty obvious to most. :P

Just a consistency point, but something that seems like it'd clear up slight confusions.

Unless i misunderstood the nLite patches, you completely misunderstood :

AFAIK, nLite work in a very binary scheme : "doing <something> vs. not doing <something>"

On patches page, the default options are "not doing" (like everywhere else)

Thus, if one change the SFC option (or any other), it will make the patch.

Nothing confusioning, really :)

On the other hand, what is unclear is not what these options does (reading some manuals or searching on the forums is harmless), but what these options doesn't do.

I mean, nLite offers the option to "make the patch" OR "not make the patch" ; but your suggested clarifications doesn't reads the same : for SFC, if you choose "enable", it will just keep your files ; it will not unpatch them if they were patched before.

As a consequences, this page (patches) should no longer let user choose between enable/disable, nor yes/no, nor anything like.

It should be one checkbox in front of each possible patch, checking it will obviously mean "patch the file", and unchecking it means not "unpatch" but "leave as is" (and this should be said in top of the page).

Example :

nLite new patches page

CAUTION : these patches are well-spread but they can broke your windows, blah, blah, blah.

HOW IT WORKS : check a box to make the corresponding patch. Unchecking a box will leave your files as they are, it WILL NOT undo the patches

[x] TCP/IP patch. additional param : [number] (<-- gey this numberbox if checkbox is unchecked)

[x] uxtheme patch : support for non-signed msstyles

[x] SFC patch : the system will no longer cache its critical binaries, and will no more be able to recover them from hard drive if one gets corrupted

that's all, but i may be wrong on what nLite really does.

SFC patch is still unclear to me :lol: (i mean i don't patch it, instead i run "SFC /CACHESIZE=0" during and after install and i have no dllcache, nor any WFP popup message because i have a copy of i386 on hard drive ; so i still don't understand what nLite can do for me on this...)

++

Edited by Delprat

• 2 weeks later...

While I managed to understand and experiment on my own (like many others did), drewkaree was courage enough to announce it.

Again, thanks nuhi for introducing such a dear piece of software to the community.

hello. i like to make this request too. nlite is a great software, even worth buying, i hope those descriptions can be changed. i prefer straightforward questions like

enable sfc? yes. no.

patch uxtheme? yes. no.

maybe the creator is just too busy right now, i see he is right on top of the new version.

thank you.