Currently available mainboards for Win2k?

lasitter

My current board is six years old and I'm looking to update, but finding something Windows 2000 can run on today can be a bit tricky.

You can wish for the moon but ultimately have to settle for less. Some of the best prospects I've been looking at largely disappeared about a year ago.

Some of the features I've seen that are appealing are:

Build quality ... 125W to 140W capability

AM3/AM3+ Compatibility

Four memory slots

More adapter slots generally

Legacy headers for IDE or even floppy

PS/2

DVI-D onboard video with Win2k drivers a plus

HDMI (don't know if any drivers for Win2k ...)

USB3

Sata3

1394a header or connector

If I gave up on the video something like the Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 might work, and I've only seen a couple of those for sale. I don't know if only the latest revision (v3.1) supports AM3+

The GA-890GPA-UD3H is somewhat more common, but again I've not seen anyone with v3.1 of that board.

Some have said that it's easier to get Win2k to work on nVidia, but a number of recent nVidia chipset boards I looked at seem to have dropped Floppy, IDE, COM and similar legacy items.

What are the best guesses right now for AMD? It's been so long since I've used Intel I'd rather not go back there.

Last thought: With newer raid controller boards, is it possible to load Win2k if you set the mode to IDE, even if you don't have floppy / actual IDE?

My current board is six years old and I'm looking to update, but finding something Windows 2000 can run on today can be a bit tricky.

Some of the features I've seen that are appealing are:

Build quality ... 125W to 140W capability

AM3/AM3+ Compatibility

PS/2

DVI-D onboard video with Win2k drivers a plus

HDMI (don't know if any drivers for Win2k ...)

What are the best guesses right now for AMD? It's been so long since I've used Intel I'd rather not go back there.

Last thought: With newer raid controller boards, is it possible to load Win2k if you set the mode to IDE, even if you don't have floppy / actual IDE?

Can you settle for 95 Watts? one of the six-cores do.

I feel the same way about Intel.

Your best bet would be to look for any mobos with N68 in the model number

with the NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a chipset combo.

They are older than my nVidia 7300 video card and as I was told in another thread,

drivers can be found at filehippo because nVidia's search engine no longer responds if you

logon with 2000.

Biostar has this:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=506

Though recently Newegg has sold out twice and discontinued.

Then there is a series from ASRock, which I've settled on , one with a single

slot that I use with a Sempron 145 for running my two MDP-130s.

Then this dual PCI slot, that hopefully, I can get one of the six-core AMDs [and run XP/W7]

as my next workstation but as stated in another post I gave up on 2000 myself because

of lack of support from Adobe,Java etc. plus although i admire the work of BWC,WB and tomasz86,

the unofficial updates seem to bugger up the MyHD software, hence this week I moved on to XP for the

cards, and W7 for the workstation.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?Model=N68C-GS%20FX&cat=Specifications

Now I hope pasting this doesn't cause a run on ASRock because I haven't gotten mine

yet, or I'll have to search all over again.

I've had a crappy year in the sense of income.

I'm just a hardware guy, not a software guy, for that, see tomasz86 or one of the other two I mentioned.

Without BWC's drivers, you'd have to settle for "IDE mode" from bios, but it didn't bother me to do so,

as long as things worked.

You may even be lucky and have 2000 drivers on the above's install CDs, if not, go to filehippo.

Edited by Browncoat

I may have to let go of any hope of running bulldozer with Win2k, but since I own advanced server (not installed) the idea of having eight cores is appealing. But not vital.

I feel the same way about Intel. Your best bet would be to look for any mobos with N68 in the model number

Newegg is only showing two boards, one from ASRock and the other from Jetway.

The complaints I've seen have to do with a lack of longevity due to flimsy caps. They're dirt cheap at under $50, but I'm really not concerned about the cost so much.

The ASRock has all of three slots and the JetWay two. Both have only D-Sub for video, which means I'd have to fill one slot with a video card.

I'm planning to run a RAID 6 / 60 controller in one slot and so you're full up without any of the other stuff I need.

Thanks for your response!

I feel the same way about Intel.

Your best bet would be to look for any mobos with N68 in the model number

They are older than my nVidia 7300 video card and as I was told in another thread,

drivers can be found at filehippo because nVidia's search engine no longer responds if you

logon with 2000.

Biostar has this:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=506

Though recently Newegg has sold out twice and discontinued.

Then there is a series from ASRock, which I've settled on , one with a single

slot that I use with a Sempron 145 for running my two MDP-130s.

Then this dual PCI slot, that hopefully, I can get one of the six-core AMDs [and run XP/W7]

as my next workstation but as stated in another post I gave up on 2000 myself because

of lack of support from Adobe,Java etc. plus although i admire the work of BWC,WB and tomasz86,

the unofficial updates seem to bugger up the MyHD software, hence this week I moved on to XP for the

cards, and W7 for the workstation.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?Model=N68C-GS%20FX&cat=Specifications

Now I hope pasting this doesn't cause a run on ASRock because I haven't gotten mine

yet, or I'll have to search all over again.

I've had a crappy year in the sense of income.

I'm just a hardware guy, not a software guy, for that, see tomasz86 or one of the other two I mentioned.

Without BWC's drivers, you'd have to settle for "IDE mode" from bios, but it didn't bother me to do so,

as long as things worked.

You may even be lucky and have 2000 drivers on the above's install CDs, if not, go to filehippo.

There is some motherboard which I can buy from eBay to upgrade my old desktop pc?

It had this motherboard

http://www.ebay.it/itm/SCHEDA-MADRE-CPU-INTEL-PENTIUM-II-2-350Mhz-RAM-128mb-Video-Audio-integrato-USB-/251141714853?pt=Schede_madri_per_PC_e_Server&hash=item3a793673a5

with these port sets

http://bayimg.com/KABamaAEN

I have substituted this motherboard with a more recent one which mounts an AMD Athlon XP 1700+. It has the same port sets as the old one. Can I upgrade again the motherboard?

Edited by Agorima

@lasitter

• There should be no problem with using AMD FX in Windows 2000. Even if it's not Advanced Server you can still use multiple cores with a BlackWingCat's patch in any Win2k edition.
  • I'd avoid the old nVIDIA chipsets because they're slow compared to the new AMD ones. Any of the new AMD chipsets will do fine.
  • If you want SATA3 then you should go for an AMD SATA controller because there exist BlackWingCat's drivers for it. AVOID other controllers like ASMedia, etc. because the drivers don't work in Win2k (tested myself).
  • Avoid motherboards with "unknown" LAN controllers (like Atheros, etc.). Any Realtek controller should be fine as Realtek still officially supports Win2k.
  • Same thing with audio controllers. Realtek recommended.
  • USB 3.0 won't work (no matter which chipset it is) :(
  • There exist unofficial graphic drivers for AMD / nVIDIA / Intel so basically any graphic card should work.

I myself am using ASRock A55 Pro3 with AMD Athlon II X4 631. It's an FM1 board so it's not exactly what you're looking for but you can have an idea what kind of newer hardware works with Win2k. On this board the SATA3 controller and USB 3.0 controller don't work because the drivers don't support Win2k. That's why I've just said to avoid the ASMedia SATA3 controller. SATA2 works with the BlackWingCat's drivers.

tomasz86: Thanks for the tips.

I made a list Gigabyte boards that supposedly supported AM3 and AM3+ ...

GA-890FXA-UD5 (v3.1) 3781 -VID, 4x mem, 7x option, FDD, IDE, COM

GA-890GPA-UD3H (v3.1) 3785 +VID, 4x mem, 7x option, FDD, IDE, COM

GA-880GA-UD3H (v3.1) 3789 +VID, 4x mem, 7x option, FDD, IDE, COM

GA-870A-UD3 (v3.1) 3786 -VID, 4x mem, 7x option, FDD, IDE, COM, PAR

GA-MA770T-UD3 (v3.1) 3807 -VID, 4x mem, 7x option, FDD, IDE, COM, PAR

GA-78LMT-S2P (v3.1) 3833 +VID, 2x mem, 3x option, COM

GA-M68MT-S2 (v3.1) 3967 DSub, 2x mem, 4x option, PAR

GA-M68MT-S2P (v3.1) 3922 DSub, 2x mem, 4x option, PAR

GA-880GM-D2H (v3.1) 3888 +VID, 2x mem, 4x option, COM

GA-880GMA-USB3 (v3.1) 3817 +VID, 4x mem, 4x option, COM

GA-880GM-USB3 (v3.1) 3809 +VID, 4x mem, 4x option, COM

GA-870A-USB3 (v3.1) 3788 -VID, 4x mem, 7x option, COM

The older ones that have FDD / IDE ports only supported bulldozer in the very last revisions. I've checked all over the web for them and I'm wondering if the compatible revisions were ever actually built ...

You'll probably have to compromise. The newer the board is, the lower the probability that it will support IDE / FDD is. You can always use a PCI(-E) IDE controller (but make sure that's it's a bootable one!).

One more thing - Cool'n'Quiet won't work in Win2k. You'll have to use K10stat but it's not a bad thing because it's actually better and very customisable.

Edited by tomasz86

Agorima: Bulldozer is eight cores, and this board is for Intel vs AMD.

tomasz86: The main concern is dodging four adapter slots, I guess.

GA-870A-USB3 is available now from various sellers in rev 3.1. It has four ram slots and seven adapter slots, with a serial header. That will be my fallback, I guess.

@lasitter

[*] Avoid motherboards with "unknown" LAN controllers (like Atheros, etc.). Any Realtek controller should be fine as Realtek still officially supports Win2k.

[*] Same thing with audio controllers. Realtek recommended.

[*] USB 3.0 won't work (no matter which chipset it is) :(

[*] There exist unofficial graphic drivers for AMD / nVIDIA / Intel so basically any graphic card should work.

Well, this week I'm finishing a PVR [so raw speed not a requirement] with an ASRock VS3

because the 130s with hardware decoding were meant to run on older, forgotten computers,

even a 286,though 386 were recommended by the manufacturer.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us.asp?Model=N68-VS3%20FX

with that Sempron 145 Whilst dreaming of

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&sku=A79-1045&SRCCODE=CANEMBP004&cm_mmc=Email-_-Retro-_-CANEMBP004-_-viewed

because at 200 bucks CDN the eight core is out of my budget range, plus since I've moved on to XPP and W7, for me now chipsets may not be a consideration anymore.

I only listed the above as it had both an IDE header, for legacy opticals of mine and if not a printer port, at least the header that i can attach a ribbon cable case mount to for my decade old

HP 920c, which works just fine thank you.

Now on this 2008 ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 ICH7 with a single core 775 P4 (requirement of the MyHD MDP-130) does run the Atheros L2 Ethernet/LAN which was excellent under 2000.

The shortcomings was in the P4 series, though faster, wasn't much better than a P3. Hence my "return" to AMD/nVidia. Oddly enough though ASUS stayed with the reliable

Realtek 662 which ran fine under 2000. I would have gone straight to W7 but this machine tested as not XP mode capable, so on it I've temporarily downgraded to XPP until I can build

a second Sempron 100 series PVR, then the six-core to replace this aging ASUS. For faster booting on the PVR, XP has been shrunk with nLite, you can also shrink 2000.

EDIT: well, at 170 plus shipping and Ontario taxes, its' still 200 CDN for the 8 core.

Edited by Browncoat