Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Which chip?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I have been running win2k on various (old) systems for a while. I'm considering building an ITX desktop and am wondering which chip(chipsets) you would all recommend starting out with.

I'm highly considering an AMD FM2 board or intel 1155. Anyone have experience on a newer board?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
I'd suggest AMD at least for one reason which is K10stat. Neither AMD's Cool'n'Quiet nor Intel's SpeedStep work in Windows 2000 but you can use K10stat for power management of AMD CPUs. In case of the Intel processor it's going to run at full speed all the time.

My board is based on FM1 and AMD A55 chipset. Before buying a motherboard just make sure that everything will work in Windows 2000. I'm thinking specifically about the USB3.0 chip and the LAN card.

Edited by tomasz86, 19 June 2013 - 12:56 AM.

post-47483-1123010975.png
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Thanks tomasz. I have used K10stat before on my netbook and it runs great. I'll shoot for an AMD FM2 board and see where I get with it.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Asrock FM2A75M-ITX R2.0 procured
Will give any feedback I have when I have it :whistle:

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
Let's hope everything will work without too much hassle :sneaky: I'd suggest to use a fully updated Windows 2000 source for installation.

Edited by tomasz86, 25 June 2013 - 12:26 AM.

Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

Phenomic

Phenomic

• PipPip
  • 276 posts
I think k10stat doesn't work with Family 15h CPUs.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I've used Brazostweaker before. Is that the same codebase as k10stat or completely separate?

Phenomic

Phenomic

• PipPip
  • 276 posts
Don't know Brazos, for 15h CPUs you can use AMD PSCheck for Windows, and there's a new Linux utility similar to k10ctl.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Thank you Phenomic. Will do. I have used k10ctl before as well.
Processor came today.. still waiting on the board. 4GB memory in hand. Should have pretty quick results as a I have a hard drive with win2k setup and dos ready to go.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
installation went flawlessly.
I cannot get any drivers to work for video however.. I've got everything else up except video. I've tried the stock AMD XP driver as well as Blackwingcat's driver (my card isnt listed so I forced some other ATI driver down its throat) but nothing is working yet... Will keep on trying...

Any help appreciated. A6-6400K HD8000 series

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Well I'm stumped. I can install BWC drivers with no exclamation mark as 7000 series and even the catalyst 8470 driver with no exclamation mark but the display doesnt get any better. Still 640x480. I even hacked up with win7 driver on a whim and it detected the 8470D as the correct driver but it wont load after install (exclamation mark there)

Kind of at a loss :(

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
What updates have you installed in your system? Is UURollup or BWC kernel installed?

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Yep BWC latest kernel and your latest uurollup daily (from June)

I made sure I got the latest versions of both.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
Well, first of all, you should never install both of them :w00t: because BWC kernel is already included in UURollup... :ph34r: but at the end it shouldn't really matter in this particular case since you've just installed same files and registry settings twice.

I'd suggest you send a PM directly to blackwingcat and ask him whether he could modify the latest official AMD graphics drivers (which support your specific graphics card model) to make them work in Windows 2000.

Edit: Did you enable PAE by any chance?

Edited by tomasz86, 30 June 2013 - 12:06 PM.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Yes on PAE. Actually I've tried enabling and disabling it to see what's up. The VESA/VBE universal SVGA driver is working ;p
Should I try turning off PAE and reloading the drivers?

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
The AMD and Intel graphics drivers won't work with PAE enabled :( The NVIDIA drivers do work.

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts
Since I have an nVidia GPU in my build now, I think I should get more lucky on Windows 2000 with PAE. If i was to install the UUR 11 daily or weekly, would the drivers work out of the box?

PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 (3.5-4Ghz, 8-core, Vishera, 16MB of Cache) -H212 Evo, 8GB of DDR3-1600MHz HyperX, 500GB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12II 620 Watt PSU, Cooler master HAF 912 Combat Mid-Tower Case, AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, DVD+-RW Writer, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

50308.png

49128.gif

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
So I disabled PAE and reinstalled both BWC and the XP drivers but still have not got it working yet. I've got to be doing something wrong unless this new APU simply isnt supported by the XP driver yet... Going to be kind of a waste if I have to use a seperate video card when I bought the APU to utilize the built in video ;p

oh well I'll keep trying

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

So I disabled PAE and reinstalled both BWC and the XP drivers but still have not got it working yet. I've got to be doing something wrong unless this new APU simply isnt supported by the XP driver yet... Going to be kind of a waste if I have to use a seperate video card when I bought the APU to utilize the built in video ;p

oh well I'll keep trying

You'll find that you'll have much better luck with an nVidia Graphics Processing unit. Sorry to say.

PC Specs: AMD FX-8320 (3.5-4Ghz, 8-core, Vishera, 16MB of Cache) -H212 Evo, 8GB of DDR3-1600MHz HyperX, 500GB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12II 620 Watt PSU, Cooler master HAF 912 Combat Mid-Tower Case, AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB, ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Motherboard, DVD+-RW Writer, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

50308.png

49128.gif

Phenomic

Phenomic

• PipPip
  • 276 posts
I could not get the video working on A8 APU either.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,510 posts
The AMD graphics drivers for XP for won't work. They need to be modified (the actual driver files, not just the INF file). The only person capable of doing that is blackwingcat.

Since I have an nVidia GPU in my build now, I think I should get more lucky on Windows 2000 with PAE. If i was to install the UUR 11 daily or weekly, would the drivers work out of the box?

No :( In my experience, the latest drivers working "out of the box" are v270.61 available at my website. In case of the newer drivers I believe that you need to modify the DLL files too. You should try to use the v300.xx drivers from BWC.

Edited by tomasz86, 01 July 2013 - 10:23 AM.

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
I sent BWC a few messages over the last couple days. I've been stalking him since I know he's one of the only people out there who can fix a driver (outside of AMD of course)
I saw the latest beta drives from AMD didnt support XP anymore. If they phase out XP support as MS is doing what will we do when we need a new driver and hacking up an INF from Xp isnt available anymore... Looks like we may be stuck with legacy support only for a little while longer...

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
http://www.tomshardw...Mark,23323.html

AnX

AnX

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

No :( In my experience, the latest drivers working "out of the box" are v270.61 available at my website. In case of the newer drivers I believe that you need to modify the DLL files too. You should try to use the v300.xx drivers from BWC.

Oh, OK. These drivers can work without UUR too?

50308.png

49128.gif

tramtrist

tramtrist

Junior

• Pip
  • 53 posts
Help us Blackwingcat! You're our only hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN